Italian aircraft markings?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Seawitch

Airman 1st Class
Dec 17, 2006
London
www.seawitchartist.com
I find this image of a Lightning intercepting an Italian aircraft I havn't identified confusing. The markings seem to be Italian, but not as I know Italy's ww2 markings... http://www.wallcoo.net/paint/Air_Combat_Art_01/images/Air Combat Art 0046.jpg ...can anyone elaborate?
Air Combat Art 0046.jpg

Last edited:
The airplane is rather fantasy, the markings are those of Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana (1943-1945).

Let' say that the the airplane is an "artistic impression" of a Macchi 205........
Proportions and general shape of the fuselage, expecially in the rear, but also in the nose, are fully wrong.... look at the blending between the cockpit and the fuselage, for example......

Last edited:
Just for reference there are 4 pictures of this aircraft (3 different angle shots of same aircraft including the one above) in the book Camouflage and Markings of the Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana 1943-1945 on page 53

Does anyone here appreciate an artist effort to impress a viewer of his art? I get more and more disappointed at some of you guys tat can't say one nice thing about anyne, other that always criticize and analyze and disrespect the effort. I have a signed copy of this work of art.

WWII art can be very attractive, there is no question - and this piece is no exception.

However, this site happens to be for and about WWII aircraft, and inaccuracies (wether in the movies, media or art) will often times come under scrutiny.

If one is just looking at the picture from an artistic appreciation point of view, then perhaps it would be better recieved at sites like Deviant Art, where details are most often overlooked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back