For Lanc

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

some remarks....

interesting the VOTE FOR JOE nose art? was the crew communists?

and the UNCLE IKE noseart looks like a carricature of aj ew, lol

well this seemed like a very fitting thread for this very exciting news!

The BBMF lanc, PA474, has gone to Coventry airport for her winter maintenance program, however it has been 6 years since 2000 and so this time it's for major work, they pull her apart, even pulling the fusilage into her component sections, check her over for any damage, stress or weathering, it was during one of these check ups back along that her wing spar was replaced, however part of this process involves stripping her of all her paintwork, which means a change of identity! when she emerges for the next display season it has been confirmed that she will be wearing the Phantom of the Ruhr nose art.

24336.jpg

however this is not the end of the story, whilst EE139 did go on to complete 121 'ops', she will be depicted with only 30 'ops' (including some ice creams for ops to italy) this point in her career marked the change over from 100 sqn to 550 sqn and as such on her port side she will retain her 100sqn codes HW-R, to starboard she will carry her 550sqn codes BQ-B, can't wait to see the first pictures of her!

Hi all
My little pic (avatar-atavar ?) is of an uncle. He is the one on top with the pink hairdo (bald). In common with a lot of the bomber crews Bobbie, the Observer, was the "daddy" and the pilot was probably the baby.
I have quite a lot of IX squadron and 630 squadron pics especially of crew, if any one would like to see them.
:?:

Named by pilot as a tribute to the incredible fight being put up by the Russians at the time.
Pilot Sgt/Flt Sgt/ Pilot Officer Jimmy Lyon.
Observer (Navigator) Bobbie Corkill (Corkie)
IX Squadron at Bardney, Lincolnshire.
EE136 Lancaster WS-R from May 1943 to October 1944
Did 109 Ops and ended being crashed at No. 1 RS renumbered 5918M
Apparently an Australian crew landed Spirit of Russia on a decoy airfield and she was smashed to bits. The hulk ended up as a fire practice fuselage !
11 ops out of Bobbie's first tour (30) were done in EE136.
A couple more also, taken with different pilots on 50 Squadron or 630 Squadron.
Sorry about the handle, must change it to lower case, I really didn't mean to shout or anything.......

Attachments

• BOBBIE CORKILL.JPG
    BOBBIE CORKILL.JPG
    306.4 KB · Views: 128
  • PICT2126.JPG
    PICT2126.JPG
    343.8 KB · Views: 118
  • PICT2130.JPG
    PICT2130.JPG
    262.5 KB · Views: 127
copied from FlyPast mag of 1985.
also small drawing attached to a print of WS-J over Lincoln Cathedral (Johnny Walker). the insert depicts the nose of WS-R and was added by the artist Timothy O'Brien for me (he has the copyright)
also, i hope, shot of the whole print with my uncle Bobbie's photo on it
TABS is the motto of IX Squadron Association - There's Always Bloody Something.

Attachments

• LYON4.jpg
    LYON4.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 109
  • LYON2.jpg
    LYON2.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 112
  • P1030621.JPG
    P1030621.JPG
    794.6 KB · Views: 95
  • LYON6.jpg
    LYON6.jpg