Little prop color help?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

joker_86z28

Airman
Dec 1, 2012
Hey again,
Im going to be building a fw190 model soonish, and have a question, did any aircraft from ww2 come with green or any other color props?
aakra5.jpg

schnell_fw190a4_asym_port.jpg

unless im crazy, those look green.

Props on WW2 Luftwaffe aircraft were normally finished in RLM 70 Schwarzgrun, as were spinners, but the latter, of course, could be painted in other colours depending on aircraft type, unit, period etc.
Be wary of the other colour tones shown in those profiles - they seem to be more representations, rather than totally accurate schemes.

Last edited:
I would like to make blue 9, 1 thanks for the info, 2 what colors are those, 3 where is a good place to buy these colors?

Without more details concerning the unit (even though the 'Eismeer' badge is shown), and the period and location, it's not possible to state exactly what the colours are supposed to be. However, as a general rule, but by no means certain, as there were exceptions, the FW190A-8 in, for example, 1944, would normally be finished in a scheme of the three 'greys' - RLM 74, 75 and 76. But as previously stated, the profile shown is a very basic representation, where it's not possible to determine the colours represented, the pattern, or any mottle pattern applied. To be certain, a more accurate profile would be required, backed up by photo evidence.
As for the paints themselves, most paint ranges, both enamel and acrylic, include the major RLM colours, or they can be mixed by referring to one of the paint conversion charts shown elsewhere on the forum. If your local outlet doesn't stock your preferred brand, then as a suggestion in the USA, Squadron should have paint ranges listed - perhaps a US member could provide further info on this.

I found Focke-Wulf 190 A-8 'Blue 9 + o' of Lt. Karl-Heinz Koch, 12./J.G. 5, April 1945, shows blue 9 and "FW 190 A-8 W.Nr 350 185 'Blue 9 + o' of Lt. Karl-Heinz Koch, 12./J.G. 5, Herdla, Norway, April 1945

The pilot of this FW 190 was Lt. Karl-Heinz Koch, a five victory ace. 'Blue 9 + o' was destroyed in a crash at Herdla after combat on 9 February 1945, with Karl-Heinz Koch in the cockpit. Koch's aircraft had a white rudder with his victories over Soviet (four) and British (one) aircraft marked on it. It also had the J.G. 5 emblem on the forward fuselage.

Table 1: Victory List for Karl-Heinz Koch
Date Pilot: Tally Unit Type Location: Altitude Time Source
27.09.44 Lt. Karl-Heinz Koch: 13./J.G. 5 Yak-9 Pl.Qu. 37 Ost/QA-72d: 1,000-1,200 m 11:40 Film C. 2035/II
09.10.44 Lt. Karl-Heinz Koch: 13./J.G. 5 Il-2 Pl.Qu. 37 Ost/TC-7.5: - 15:15 Film C. 2032/II"
thanks hobby vista

Ah, I had a feeling it might be that one. In which case, it's an area of which my detailed knowledge is somewhat sketchy, as there were many and varied colour schemes in this late war period, using colours other than the RLM 74/75/76, which include some of the later greens and 'browns'.
No doubt one of the guys, maybe Wayne or Erich, can advise here, and yes, Testors will have most of the RLM range in their line, although not sure about the late war colours.
However, in a thread below this one, there is a digital comparison chart for Luftwaffe colours which you might find useful.

Koch flew,and crashed,two different "Blue 9"s.

On 9th February 1945 he was shot down by Mustangs of 65 Squadron during the battle at Førdefjord.His Fw 190 "Blaue 9" (possibly WNr.732070) crashed into the Førdefjord at Heilevang. Koch bailed out and landed into the fjord. He was recued by the two brothers Jens and Andreas Heilevang.

On 5th April 1945 he had to make a forced landing at fliegerhorst Herdla due to oil pressure problems. His landing gear broke during the rough landing and the aircraft ended up in a quarry. I have a couple of photos of it somewhere. This was W.Nr.350185

From Mombeek's "Eismeerjager IV",who incidentally gives Koch's unit as 7./III./JG 5 (7 not 12 Staffel).

The colours? I'd go with the standard 74/75/76 as suggested by Aitframes unless there is evidence for 75/83/76. A significant number of late war A-8 airframes were finished with the latter scheme.

Propeller RLM 70

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve, great info. I have what I think is the same profile shown, in an early Osprey publication, but no definite colour details.

Here's W.Nr.350185 in the quarry.

herdla2-02.gif

Not much help for the colours but it's a nice photo :)

There's not much mottle on the fuselage sides but it looks to have been darkened. This was often done with an overspray of thinned RLM 02.

Steve

Last edited:
There are two other pics of that rig in "Luftwaffe Eagle" by Schuck confirming little to no mottling certainly around the nose. Here's another view although lower quality:

herdla2-01.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding the colour,evidence from other aircraft in this block would strongly support Airframe's original suggestion of 74/75/76.
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back