Me-108

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

outside of the Argus engines....? The first looks modified to ...ahem..resmble a Luftwaffe plane. The second is Swiss?

Both photos are of the Swiss Pilatus P2 advanced trainer. The first has been modified to appear 'German', which I think appeared in one of Spielberg's Indiana Jones films.

Thanks Graeme, aircraft ID is one of my poorer attributes.

I've noticed that alot. The Bf 108 being modified and used for movies and such.
Heres a question:
"The Great Escape" with Steve McQueen and on and on. Ending with Donald Pleasance and James Garner escaping in a ....Bf 108? Not quite sure thatsa what that is. And the others made to look like Fw 190s are T-6s I believe.

Heres a question:
"The Great Escape" with Steve McQueen and on and on. Ending with Donald Pleasance and James Garner escaping in a ....Bf 108? Not quite sure thatsa what that is. And the others made to look like Fw 190s are T-6s I believe.

Only because I watched it last week!..I feel confident in stating that the 'escape' aircraft was actually a German aircraft for once..a Bucker Bu 181 Bestmann. A German 2-seat primary trainer from 1939. And your absolutely right about the T-6's.

A Bucher! Damn that tandem seating thew me off!

Speaking of imitations..how many times has a P-51 been made to look like a Bf 109? One I can think of was in "Sahara" with Bogie.

When I first saw the Me-108, I mistook it for the Me-109 due to the similarities between the two. Plus the angle of the photo made the Me-109 look longer. The Me-108 was never actually used as a fighter-bomber was it?

Negative; the Taifun was Willy Messerschmitt's last "civilian" design. It was quite popular in Europe in the '30's, as it was one of the first all-metal, high-performance civil airplanes. Obviously, he based the design of the Bf-109 on the Taifun, including an almost exact copy of the airfoil and aspect ratio of the wings.

I believe that 108s were built after the war as well for a little bit. Not sure though, Im going to have to research this one up somemore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back