Mid-engined P-51 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Colin1

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 2, 2009
United Kingdom
Found this the other day whilst trawling
clearly based on the P-51B/C. Love that view over the nose but not sure he's considered the fuel arrangements; seems to hit the same wall as the P-39. Nice try though

Attachments

• Mystery.jpg
    Mystery.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,036
There were a couple of real designs for the P-51 that looked somewhat like this. Proposals for mounting the Griffon in the P-51 lead to the mid engine arrangement. I can't remember any with Malcolm hoods though.

I think this must be a drawing of what is unkindly called Dorey's Delusion, a redesigned Mustang to take on a Roll Royce Griffon 65 p39 style. As I understand they did put in a lot of effort but it was eventually abandoned. Don't know why. I should think it might have worked but I suspect it would have taken a lot of engineering and probably a very distinctive diffrent flying Mustang. My source is North American P 51 Mustang by Bill Gunston. As I understand Dorey was a rolls Royce engineer. The designing was done in the UK so it is possible that there was a Malcolm hood available for the mockup. Don't think that it is very likely though.

Last edited:
I think this must be a drawing of what is unkindly called Dorey's Delusion, a redesigned Mustang to take on a Rolls Royce Griffon 65, P-39 style. As I understand they did put in a lot of trouble but it was eventually abandoned. Don't know why
I vaguely remember
posting something on that; the rationale for abandoning it was that as the powerplant developed, it may increase in length, which would necessitate a redesign of the length of the engine bay.

Quite why or how that would come as a surprise to anyone, esp aeronautics engineers, is beyond me.

I'll see if I can find it.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• F.T.B Mustang 2.jpg
    F.T.B Mustang 2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,580
  • F.T.B Mustang.jpg
    F.T.B Mustang.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 940
  • P51 Grffion.jpg
    P51 Grffion.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 1,039
  • P51 Grffion 3.jpg
    P51 Grffion 3.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 2,969
It's not that it doesn't look right. It just doesn't look like a Mustang anymore. Still wonder what it would have been capable of though.

Why bother with mid-ship engine mounting?
Spitfires, even with lower base weight, managed to work just fine with new ( heavier) engine in front.

At the time it seemed like a good idea, I guess. Nothing wrong in trying something new anyway. I've read that Rolls Roys expected the plane to top 500 mph. That would have been a big improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back