Mystery Soviet aircraft (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
Ok, Ive been digging through some of my old pictures on my hard drive and ran across this one. I have it labeled as a Yak 9 but Im not for. Odd thing is it looks like it has bomb bay doors and whats it dropping. If it is bombs what kind are they.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Yak 9.JPG
    Yak 9.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 2,088
Thanks Cyrano, Interesting, I wonder how many it can carry. Going to have to do more digging now that I know what it is.

Thanks again

No problem, I hope you'll find more info

Here is what I found out. Its a modification of the Yak-9D series. The modification consisted of replacing the rear cockpit with a bay that could house 4 bomb bays, placed in pairs. One behind the other. In each could be suspended four FAB-100 (220lb) bombs. Alternatively four clusters of PTAB 2kg anti tank bombs could be carried. The gun armament was the same as the Yak 9D.

A series of production batches of around 109 aircraft where built and delivered to the 130th Fighter Division command by F Shinkarenko. Operational trials where to prove unsatisfactory due to the lack of a special bomb site and bad handling qualities when loaded with bombs.

So far I havent found a better picture and I have no clue on how many bombs are in a cluster for the PTAB 2 but will keep looking.

Here is what I found out. Its a modification of the Yak-9D series. The modification consisted of replacing the rear cockpit with a bay that could house 4 bomb bays, placed in pairs. One behind the other. In each could be suspended four FAB-100 (220lb) bombs. Alternatively four clusters of PTAB 2kg anti tank bombs could be carried. The gun armament was the same as the Yak 9D.

A series of production batches of around 109 aircraft where built and delivered to the 130th Fighter Division command by F Shinkarenko. Operational trials where to prove unsatisfactory due to the lack of a special bomb site and bad handling qualities when loaded with bombs.

So far I havent found a better picture and I have no clue on how many bombs are in a cluster for the PTAB 2 but will keep looking.

This from 'Yakovlev Aircraft' by Bill Gunston and Yefim Gordon.
Yak-9B. Known to the Yakovlev OKB as the Yak-9L, the prototype of this fighter bomber was modified Yak-9D No.14-20. The only change was to equip the space behind the seat with either 4 tubes for FAB-100 bombs' carried nose-up at an angle of 75deg, or 4 cannisters each for 32PTAB-2.5-1.5(1.5kg) bomblets. Normal load was 2 bombs or containers only. Bombs were loaded by putting the tailwheel on a trestle, removing the detachable rear canopy fairing and attaching a portable winch. Only very experienced pilots were permitted to carry the maximum load.
The prototype was converted by 20 March 1944, but service trials did not begin until 18 December 1944. Eventually production was limited to 109 aircraft, partly because of lack of accurate sighting (though in a 45deg dive an error within 50m was usual) and because of tricky handling with maximum load and full tanks.

Thanks Graeme, this was a very unusual conversion for a fighter bomber.

This all begs the Question..
Just how much room is there behind A Yak-9's cockpit area?!

It was not uncommon for Soviet mechanics to climb into the spacebehind the pilot on single-seat Yak-9s to fly to a new aerodrome when regiments were moved from airfield to the next, and the French Normandie-Niemen pilot Lieut Maurice de Seynes was killed trying to land his blazing Yak-9 rather than jump and leave his mechanic who had no parachute.

Russian Aircraft since 1940 - Jean Alexander (1975)

Thanks Graeme, this was a very unusual conversion for a fighter bomber.

It was not uncommon for Soviet mechanics to climb into the space behind the pilot on single-seat Yak-9s to fly to a new aerodrome when regiments were moved from airfield to the next, and the French Normandie-Niemen pilot Lieut Maurice de Seynes was killed trying to land his blazing Yak-9 rather than jump and leave his mechanic who had no parachute.

Yak-7/9 family in fact were improved version of Yak-7UTI training aicraft (2 seater), so after rebuilt there was enough space behind pilot to make a bomb bay, additional fuel tank or carrying another person.
Oh I was almost forget, there was no bomb sight on this plane. The aiming was carried out by mean dive lines painted on wings and engine covers. When aircraft was diving one of those lines (adequate to required degree) had to be in line with horizont.

It was not uncommon for Soviet mechanics to climb into the space behind the pilot on single-seat Yak-9s to fly to a new aerodrome when regiments were moved from airfield to the next, and the French Normandie-Niemen pilot Lieut Maurice de Seynes was killed trying to land his blazing Yak-9 rather than jump and leave his mechanic who had no parachute.

That was also true with some Luftwaffe fighters like the FW 190 wasn;t it??

It would suck if you had to get attacked with all that extra weight moving around back there. Not to mention if you where afraid of tight spaces.

That was very interesting material. I didn't know the bit about the personnel transfers in the aircraft before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back