P-47G (whats left of it) discovered on Ocean Isle Beach March 2002 after storm

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

First post with images so I hope I did it right. The airplane was identified as a Hellcat by a local historian, but being a WWII aircraft buff I knew other wise and found the data plate to prove it to the newspaper. It was my one and only moment of fame. The parts were being yanked out of the sand with a back hoe. Believe me I tried real hard to get the 50cal. out of the wing but it was full of sand and I could not turn it over by myself. It was apparently scuttled over 40 years ago by blowing it up. I believe it was because the tide was coming in, because the wing spar bolts were removed, and the spar fittings were in great shape. They cut a whole on top of one wing and pulled the wheel and brake assembly, the axle was visible and the axle nut was gone. The other wheel assembly was burnt during the scuttle as seen in picture, probably ran out of time possibly due to high tide.

The report is that the pilot was on a training mission out of Wilmington with his wingman and ran out of fuel then ditched on the beach. His wingman came back around to check on him and then headed for Wilmington, but he ran out of fuel and landed on Holden Beach. I understand his aircraft was successfully salvaged since he landed more inland. I will find the newspaper article and scan it for posting.

Attachments

• Aft_looking_fwd.jpg
    Aft_looking_fwd.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 494
  • Broken_Attachment.jpg
    Broken_Attachment.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 423
  • Fwd_Lower_Fuselage.jpg
    Fwd_Lower_Fuselage.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 451
  • P-47 _2.jpg
    P-47 _2.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 470
  • P-47 _50-Cal.jpg
    P-47 _50-Cal.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 520
  • p-47.jpg
    p-47.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 445
  • P-47_1.jpg
    P-47_1.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 539
  • P-47_Geardoor.jpg
    P-47_Geardoor.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 444
  • P-47_Wing.jpg
    P-47_Wing.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 425
  • Stenciling.jpg
    Stenciling.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 430
Apparently there were a few pieces that were salvaged and gone by the time I got there. The aircraft was taken to was taken to Charlotte Air Museum in North Carolina. I was told they were going to rebuild it. How, I don't know. The last I heard was that it has vanished from there. Who knows where the 50 went. I will inquire when I visit.

Great find mate! The paintwork is remarkably well preserved, be great to see that section atleast displayed 'as is' for historical reference...

I forgot to mention that we have a B-25 at the bottom of a lake not to far from here. The call it the Baden Lake Bomber. Any one have enough money to salvage it? The news said a search team found it a few years ago, but there wasn't any evidence to prove that they actually did see it at the bottom. It was reported to be covered in sediment.

the feds wouldnt let you keep the 50 cal anyways...maybe after a LOT of paperwork and red tape. how deep is the plane or lake? and where is it located?

can't you lay legal claim to the airframe with the data plate? Do you need a substantial % of the airframe, and if so, what %?

First post with images so I hope I did it right. The airplane was identified as a Hellcat by a local historian, but being a WWII aircraft buff I knew other wise and found the data plate to prove it to the newspaper. It was my one and only moment of fame. The parts were being yanked out of the sand with a back hoe. Believe me I tried real hard to get the 50cal. out of the wing but it was full of sand and I could not turn it over by myself. It was apparently scuttled over 40 years ago by blowing it up. I believe it was because the tide was coming in, because the wing spar bolts were removed, and the spar fittings were in great shape. They cut a whole on top of one wing and pulled the wheel and brake assembly, the axle was visible and the axle nut was gone. The other wheel assembly was burnt during the scuttle as seen in picture, probably ran out of time possibly due to high tide.

The report is that the pilot was on a training mission out of Wilmington with his wingman and ran out of fuel then ditched on the beach. His wingman came back around to check on him and then headed for Wilmington, but he ran out of fuel and landed on Holden Beach. I understand his aircraft was successfully salvaged since he landed more inland. I will find the newspaper article and scan it for posting.

DO YOU HAVE ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THIS? WERE YOU EVER ABLE TO LOCATE THE ORIGINAL NEWSPAPER ARTICLE?

Just saw all this info. My assumption is that plane that landed at Holden was piloted by Major Mike Rogers. The one at Ocean Isle Beach was piloted by my father, Lieut. Col. John F Martin, who has been listed as missing since February 8, 1948. If anyone has additional information, please pass it on.

You might try a PM to mr. Vertigo. It seems like he hasn't been on the forum since december last year,but he might have email notification on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back