P for popeye

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mar 2, 2007
A few pics of a lancaster that was dug up recently close to here.check out the last one, its some sort of aluminium heat sheilding with penciled text on it, still visable and legible after 60 years in the ground.

Attachments

• andy 089.jpg
    andy 089.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 172
  • andy 090.jpg
    andy 090.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 166
  • andy 092.jpg
    andy 092.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 168
  • andy 094.jpg
    andy 094.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 164
  • andy 095.jpg
    andy 095.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 172
  • andy 091.jpg
    andy 091.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 168
All I have in the first post of this thread is............................

P for popeye

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few pics of a lancaster that was dug up recently close to here.check out the last one, its some sort of aluminium heat sheilding with penciled text on it, still visable and legible after 60 years in the ground.

From the first post:

And since Marcel is from the Netherlands that would mean somewhere in the Netherlands. I am sure Marcel will give more info.

ok .. sorry i didnt think it would get such a respose ! ill post maximum data in future :)
ok its a lancaster Mk111 crashed at Papendrecht on 21st july 1944
serial no ND913 from the 115 sqd RAf
it was shot down by flak and all the crew perished in the crash and are buried at papendrecht general cemetry.the area where it was recovered from was desitined to be a new houseing estate but as is normal here in Holland if theres a know crash site then the area is fully cleared first.No one wants to sit in the back garden, light up the bbq and see it sail into oblivion after a 1000lb cookie goes up under your terrace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back