A Pictorial Tour of RAF Museum, Cosford.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Introduction.

Following on from a similar pictorial tour of Duxford last year, here's a tour of the 'second' RAF Museum at Cosford, UK.
Situated near the small town of Shifnal, not far from Telford in the County of Shropshire, the museum is located on an active RAF airfield. The base opened during the 'expansion period' of the RAF in the 1930s, as a Technical Training School, which purpose it still fulfils today.
Following the opening of the 'main' RAF Museum at Hendon, London, in November 1972, it was decided to centralise storage of what were known as 'Reserve Collections', scattered around various RAF airfields in the UK, which comprised a large number of aircraft, vehicles and other artefacts, which rarely saw the light of day. This eventually led to a storage facility being maintained at Stafford, and a second Museum facility being opened on the Cosford site in May 1979. This allowed a large number of valuable, and in many cases extremely rare aircraft, to be put on public display on one site, as well as the provision of a Restoration Facility. Here, aircraft and other exhibits undergo essential maintenance, preservation and, in cases of new exhibits, restoration as required.
With this organisation, exhibits can be presented in clean, un-cluttered conditions, and are also regularly rotated between the Cosford site and the main Museum at Hendon. (see elsewhere on the forum for news of the Dornier Do17 restoration project.)
Over the years, the facilities have been enlarged and improved, with the recent additions of a new Visitors Centre and a stunning, modern building which houses the 'Cold War' exhibition, of which more later.
Entrance to the Museum and its facilities is FREE, although there is a small charge for car parking, currently £3 for the full day. A visit to the Museum's web-site will provide lots of detailed information, including virtual tours of the main collections, past history and suggestions but, in brief, if you intend to visit the Museum, allow at least 5 to 6 hours for a worthwhile tour - and even at that, you will not get to see everything!

The Tour

On arrival, whether by car or coach, visitors enter the Museum via the Visitors Centre, where the Reception desk can be found, who's friendly staff can provide any information required, as well as brochures and guides. Also available are wheel-chairs and electric buggies for use by disabled visitors, and these are free of charge. This modern, light and airy building also houses the main restaurant, conference facilities, toilets etc, and a small display of flying kit in the main corridor. Access to all areas is via paved pathways, all of which are smooth, and disabled access is fundamental, with all hangars and galleries having automatic doors. Picnic areas are also situated in various parts of the site.
Passing down the main corridor, visitors exit into the first outdoor display area, before entering the main exhibition hangar, which houses displays covering the History of the RAF, Test Flight and War Planes.
My first aim on entering, was to obtain some detail shots of the Me410 and Dinah, for Andy and Glenn, before turning my attention to the rest of the exhibits. As with the Duxford tour, I'll post a group of shots at a time, with descriptions and background, as the pictorial tour proceeds throughout the whole Museum.

PIC 1. The Main Entrance to the Visitors Centre.
PIC 2. Visitors are greeted by a large, easy to follow diagram of the facilities and exhibitions.
PICS 3 and 4. Exhibits in the main access corridor include a large-scale model of a Sopwith camel, and cases displaying flying clothing from various eras.
PIC 5. The first outdoors exhibit, a HS Dominie, military variant of the HS125 'biz-jet'.
PIC 6. Former Royal Dutch Navy Neptune.
PIC 7. Entrance to the first double hangar and the main exhibitions.
PICS 8 and 9. One of the stars. Me410A-1/U2, Werke Nr. 420430, one of only two left from 1,160 built, the other being a A-2/U1, at the NASM, USA. This aircraft had served with 2/ZG26 at one time, the unit codes and insignia being found under later markings. Built by Messerschmitt at Augsburg, it was surrendered after being flown to Vaerlose, Denmark, in May 1945. I'll post some detail shots later, which were specifically obtained for Andy, following an advance request to the Museum (as were detail shots of the Dinah), and I'd like to thank the Museum's Assistant Curator, Clare Carr, and the hangar attendant, Ian, for their generous help and information.
The aircraft is currently undergoing maintenance and anti-corrosion inspection, which made for some interesting, and rare, opportunities to obtain the close-up images normally unobtainable to the general public.
PICS 10 and 11. Again, permission had been granted to cross the 'barrier' (actually very low, floor level rails), to gain access to otherwise unseen areas of the sole surviving Mitsubishi Ki- 46 'Dinah', and again, this aircraft was under maintenance and anti-corrosion inspection. My guide, Ian, showed me evidence of black, sandy dust found inside areas of the airframe, and we agreed this was possibly volcanic sand or coral.
PIC 12. The Kawasaki Ki-100-1b, built at the Kagamighara factory in June 1945.

I'll post more pics tomorrow but, meanwhile, I hope you enjoy the first part of the tour.

Attachments

• Cosford 493.jpg
    Cosford 493.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 254
  • Cosford 492.jpg
    Cosford 492.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 242
  • Cosford 490.jpg
    Cosford 490.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 238
  • Cosford 491.jpg
    Cosford 491.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 244
  • Cosford 003.jpg
    Cosford 003.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 251
  • Cosford 006.jpg
    Cosford 006.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 244
  • Cosford 016.jpg
    Cosford 016.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 255
  • Cosford 094.jpg
    Cosford 094.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 250
  • Cosford 049.jpg
    Cosford 049.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 246
  • Cosford 126.jpg
    Cosford 126.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 248
  • Cosford 071.jpg
    Cosford 071.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 254
  • Cosford 099.jpg
    Cosford 099.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 252
Ooooh, I'm going to enjoy this one; I loved visiting Cosford when I lived in the UK, especially the experimental aircraft and prototypes. Great start! Good to see the Ki-100 back there and out of Milestons at Hendon - didn't really belong there.

Thanks guys, and you're more than welcome Andy.
Glenn, I sent you a PM re your detail shots of the Dinah - need your e-mail address mate!

I wish the Me 410 had been at Hendon. I have not been to Cosford, but hit up Hendon when I was in London the last time 2 years ago.

nice start Terry, give me a shout if you think you've missed anything and i'll e-mail you with any pics to help fill a gap !!!

just realised thats me stood in front of the Dinah, could of photo shopped me a bit mate !!!!

Thanks chaps.
Carrying on with the tour of the 'War Planes' exhibition, here are a few more of the fine collection.
PICS 1 and 2. DH Mosquito TT35. This aircraft was built as a B35 (bomber), and later converted to the TT35 (Target Tug) configuration. By the early 1960s, it was serving in this role with the CAACU at Exeter, and was one of five airworthy Mosquitoes which appeared in the movie "633 Squadron". It is displayed in the markings of Guy Gibson's MkXX, AZ-E, in which he lost his life on a Pathfinder mission in September 1944.
PIC 3. Avro Lincoln B2. Ordered as the proposed Lancaster IV, the type was so changed from the original specification that it was re-named Lincoln. This particular aircraft, and this corner of the hangar, are reputed to be haunted, with a number of staff over the years experiencing strange sights and sounds. At one stage not too many years ago, the local Radio Station set up and left recording gear inside the Lincoln. The results of the subsequent recording were puzzling, being a series of creaks, clicks and other clearly distinguishable noises. Eventually, a former Lincoln crew member identified the sounds, in the correct sequence, of the switches, levers and so on, being moved, ready for engine start up!
PIC 4. FMA 1A58 Pucara. Captured during the Falklands war, and shipped to the UK, this aircraft underwent a series of handling and evaluation trials, before being re-painted in it's former Argentine colours, and being put on display.
PIC 5. Hawker Hind, one of a small number used by the Afghan forces in the 1930s.
PICS 6 and 7. Consolidated PBY-6A Catalina, formerly of the Royal Danish Airforce, based at Vaerlose on ASR duties.
PIC 8. DH Venom FB4.
PIC 9. N.A. P51D-25NA Mustang. This aircraft was originally restored in the USA but, on arrival in the UK, it was fully restored to the high standard required by the RAF Museum, by the team at RAF St. Athan, with a number of parts having to be manufactured.
PICS 10 and 11. Hawker Hurricane MkIIc, one of the final production batch, in the 'LF' series of serial numbers.
PIC 12. A nice display showing the evolution of the Spitfire armament.

Thanks again for your kind comments, and I'll post another series of pics over the weekend.

Attachments

• Cosford 096.jpg
    Cosford 096.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 228
  • Cosford 091.jpg
    Cosford 091.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 214
  • Cosford 092.jpg
    Cosford 092.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 223
  • Cosford 097.jpg
    Cosford 097.jpg