Shot Down Planes Underwater (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

the deeper the aircraft is in the sea, the slower the decay.

Maybe with the exceptions of Russia the pacific, i dont think there will be many more warbird wrecks found above ground. the seas will be the place to get them from now on.

Here is a Shiden coming up
shiden01.jpg

wow... wonder how they will be able to make it's engine more reliable if they are gonna make it fly again?
does it look like it still has a chance to fly again?

from what I understand the deeper the wreck is the less corrosion I am trying to recall whether this is due to less salt or oxygen the deeper you go

If that first picture isnt a -109 in the atlantic which i think it might be, the only other thing it might possible be would be a Ki-61 or -100 in the pacific, those resemble a -109 somewhwat.

Consolidated Catalina, strafed while floating by the Macchi C-202 of the Marshall Ennio "Banana" Tarantola (11 personal and 4 shared kills) on 02 august 1943 near the coast of Sardinia.

Abyssi--Immersioni profonde su siti e relitti inesplorati

Does any one know this history of this plane? How it went down? or of the Dornier DO 26 in Narvik: In the Rombakfjord outside narvik city lies the wreck of a Dornier 26 Seeadler. The airplane was first found in 1991, and it is believed that the plane was one of totaly two Seeadlers that supplied the German forces in May 1940 under General Dietls commando from Trondheim. British Hurricane fighters spotted these airplanes on the 28th of May 1940, and sunk these while they laid in Rombakfjorden. The wreck of this Dornier 26 lies on a depth of twenty five meters in Rombakfjorden, and is in a relatively good condition. Not far away from the plane wreck lies the wreck of the German destroyer Georg Thiele in Sildvika.

I'd like to find all I can on both wrecks.

Thanks
V

Yes the very first one on the first page of the link is obviously a 109. The nose does not even look like a radial anyhow.

The pics directly below it are of a different aircraft.

This one lies about a quarter-mile off the north side of Kwajalein island. This lies next to the wreck of the Shoei Maru, a medium-size cargo vessel (3,000 to 5,000 ton range). The ship was attacked on 19 Dec. 1943, when it was the target of a U.S.Navy PBY that performed a glide-bombing attack on it at about midnight. The ship was left burning, and according to captured documents, the Shoei Maru sank a few hours later between 0200 and 0230. The entire wreck looks like it was on fire for some time before sinking.

The ship came to rest upside down, with the stern section separated and lying about 30 feet away due to a bomb hit. The seabed around the wreck is littered with mines, torpedoes, aircraft bombs, and artillery shells.

This wreck is deep- 130 feet, which is right at the very limit for recreational diving on tank air, so I didn't have a lot of time to explore the area- my bottom time was limited to six minutes. This one will take several dives to explore the area around it. But, the main attraction (for me) was an aircraft lying next to the wreck. Several divers had described it to me, and it sounded like it was a F1M2 'Pete'. Sure enough, it is!

The state of the wreck leads me to believe that the 'Pete' was being hauled as cargo. That's because the wing outer sections are gone, and aren't lying anywhere nearby in plain view. Plus, the horizontal stabs and rudder are gone. Finally, there's no windscreen/canopy framework on the fuselage. The control stick in the cockpit, as well as the flap on the right side inboard section of the lower wing, still move freely even after all these years down there.

I got some pics, but not as many as I wanted. As I mentioned, the limiting factor is bottom time at that depth. So, I'll make a couple more dives on the 'Pete' wreck as soon as I can, and then post some more pics. For now, here's a sample of dive shots from my one dive on the wreck so far.

Cheers all! :)

Dan, from Kwajalein

pete_1.jpg

pete_2.jpg

pete_3.jpg

pete_4.jpg

pete_5.jpg

pete_6.jpg

Awesome pics corsair...

I'm jealious!,,, I have 400+ dives but I havent made it to the south pacific yet..

One of these days I'll make it to Truk..

good job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back