Shot Down Planes Underwater (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

WOW very cool pictures.
As a teenager growing up in Hawaii I did alot of freediving spearing fish and grabbing lobsters (no Gameboys back then). One place I dove frequently since it was close to home was off Lanikai on the island of Oahu. One day while diving near the Mokulua Islands I found a pretty nicely preserved fuselage of a P-47 very easy to tell by wing shape. This was a later model with bubble canopy. It was in about 10 feet of water, and I remember diving down and sitting in it. This was about 1976. On looking at a map of the area it was plain to see this plane was right in line with the bellows airfield runway so I assume this plane lost power after takeoff and landed in the water.
Another place a frequented while diving was on the North Shore of Oahu offshore of a town called Haleiwa. There was a private shoreline area reserved for law enforcement personnel and their guests for camping known as "Policeman's Beach" of all things. This property was a fighter strip during WWII and during one late afternoon dive I discovered a 3 bladed prop in nice shape in about 15 feet of water. I'm assuming it was from a P-40 by the looks of it and also by what was commom during that time. Some poor fellow must have overshot the runway and crashed losing his prop in the process. This thing was way too big to hang from any wall I had so I left it there. Wonder if both these things are still there.

A pair of Douglas TBD's ditched in the Pacific, at Jaluit atoll:

35overhead1515.jpg

09TBD0298H.jpg

American Aircraft, page 2

With the condition of some of the ones they do recover, wonder why they don't try to raise these two? Look preserved pretty well.

i'd like to see the pictures of Ark Royal and its planes,mentioned above. is there alink for those? i dont know in which depth the wreck lies.
btw, exceleent,interesting topic and pictures,thanks:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back