Spitfire hauling beer (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

4trade

Airman
Feb 25, 2012
Finland
You guys probably have been seeing these pictures many times, need to add anyway, so clever "field operation".
Story here: http://spitfiresite.com/2012/01/modification-xxx-beer-carrying-spitfires.html
Spitfire_beer3-640x544.jpg
Spitfire_beer2-640x359.jpg
Spitfire_beer4.jpg
Spitfire_beer1.jpg

I wonder what the ale tasted like? I hope it didn't get frozen in transit. It's not supposed to freeze or even be drunk cold!
Steve

I saw a similar story with a Mustang that was taken to altitude to make ice-cream in a clean drop tank. Gotta hand it to an enterprising military person.

I've heard that one too. Apparently someone rigged a drop-tank up with a churner, powered by a small prop.

At last a practical use for a Spitfire! A 400 MPH beer cooler. Musta been Johnson's or some other Canadian outfit, we like our beer cold.

Last edited:
At last a practical use for a Spitfire! A 400 MPH beer cooler. Musta been Johnson's or some other Canadian outfit, we like our beer cold.

Spitfire Premium Kentish Ale | Shepherd Neame

Click on the 'fun stuff' tag... they a bit toned down from earlier ones. Apparently the German legendary sense of humour failed....

9d82a8aa-865d-4d66-821f-d863dc44d177.jpg

Cheers

John

i heard of pilots in the pacific taking "test flights" to check performance that was really a ruse to get the beer cold. a lot of the islands didnt have generators and refrigeration units and the boys got tired of hot beer....

i heard of pilots in the pacific taking "test flights" to check performance that was really a ruse to get the beer cold. a lot of the islands didnt have generators and refrigeration units and the boys got tired of hot beer....

And you should have seen what happened when they ran out of beer - apparently they went on strike!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back