Spruce Goose

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's bl**dy huge. Those are some nice photos. I saw this years ago when it was still at Long Beach, including a mannequin looking like Hughes in the cockpit. I wonder if he's still there!

That's the Queen Mary in the background for scale!

5225496175_472c6b97f0_o1_zps5c3c1872.gif

Cheers
Steve

Fantastic photos, and that is one huge piece of kit! (I wouldn't like the job of cleaning it!).
OK, today we're growing accustomed to big aircraft, such as the Antonovs, but when the 'Goose' was first built, imagine the impact it must have had!
Very impressive indeed, thanks for posting the pics !
And Steve, that aerial shot really puts it into perspective - it's bl**dy humongous !!

I saw the "Goose" in Long Beach and up close it is HUGE/ MASSIVE/ REALLY LARGE and all other adjectives you care to attach and what is even more mind-bending: made out of WOOD

One of my favorite graphics regarding aircraft scale is the one that still compares the H-4 to all the modern aircraft.

The current graphic includes the A380 but the older graphic had another aircraft instead, I can't remember what it was at the moment...

500px-Giant_planes_comparison.png

Certainly an aircraft that private or public smoking was banned upon, even more so now I would think. She still "looks a petty smooth gal", if the 30ft woman was the single seat pilot..

I wonder, are her wings/tip floats supported to help prevent wood aging load bending? that's if the main wing spars are largely wooden composite multi layered and of a multi trussed configuration.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back