Trip to the National Museum of the US Air Force

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Bright and early this coming Friday my son Jack and I are headed to Dayton Ohio for a visit to the Air Force Museum. It's a last minute trip so I wasn't able to book the behind the scenes tour but I have hopes of getting in anyway. I plan on taking as many pictures as my 3 camera batteries allow so I should have plenty to post here next week.
I started this thread early because I wanted to let everyone know I'm taking picture requests, so if anybody wants a picture of a particular aircraft, or part of an aircraft, let me know and I'll do my best to get it.

Nice offer Glenn. I'm hoping to do a similar thing at Cosford in the next couple of weeks, will make a separate post.
I'll let you know if i think of anything.

Not to worry Terry, there are none of thoes.......things........ in Dayton.

Jacks beside himself with excitement. Don't know how he's going to make it until Friday. Looks like we'll be at the Museum Friday and Saturday. Hope my camera batteries hold out!

I wanted to let everyone know I'm taking picture requests, so if anybody wants a picture of a particular aircraft, or part of an aircraft, let me know and I'll do my best to get it.

"Bockscar", the B-29 that dropped the Fat Man atomic bomb on Nagasaki. Gotta be the most famous aircraft in the collection.

TO

I have been their and taken some pictures...and if I may make a recommendation, make sure that you have a good flash for your camera. The lighting in that museum is really inconsistent, and in some cases you cant get close enough to the exhibit (aeroplane) for the built in camera flash, to have an effect on your subject.

Its a big museum and it will take you a few hours to get through the whole place...have fun, and wear some comfortable shoes, the floor is hard, and their is not a lot of places to sit down.

Glenn, you and guys enjoy yourself at that place. I spent 2.5 days there back in 2007 on the way to the GOML2007 event and posted a few threads here.

Honestly ?...2 days aint enough to do it justice !.

And dont forget...you are only about three miles from the Wright Brothers cycle shop !!! You just have to make the extra trip...trust me, its well worth it !

Some of the airframes (non Terry type) they have there are unique (bit like terry really !)...Valkyrie, turbo '51, and a whole heap of others. Damn...I'm jealous....nead another trip there methinks !!

I get there about every 2 to 3 years and 1 day never seems to be enough, so his time its just me and Jack (no complaining from the wife and daughter) and a full two days! Might try to see that Wright Brothers cycle shop if we have time.

Finished the first day at the museum and took close to 900 photos, but can't post any until we get home. (this anemic little laptop of mine won't resize pictures). We saw some pretty unique stuff on the behind scenes tour including two of my all time favorites, the XB-42 mixmaster and XB-43. I thought they were both scraped 50 years ago!

That sounds just fantastic Glenn, how's young Jack holding up!
His feet hurt and I had to drag him out of bed this morning, but he's ready for day 2 now.
good stuff Glenn, must get the cash together to visit a few of the museums over there !!!!............................one day
You wont be disappointed! I heard they are going to build yet another hanger in the next few years.
look forward to them pics Glenn!
Started organizing them last night, so it will just be a matter of resizing when we get home. I might have some up Sunday night.

I've started resizing the photos and will post some little by little starting with the requests.
First up Bockscar
P2166435.JPG
P2166436.JPG
P2166437.JPG
P2166438.JPG
P2166440.JPG
P2166441.JPG
P2166448.JPG
P2166449.JPG
P2166450.JPG
P2166461.JPG
P2166484.JPG