Unusual Bf 109s (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have a pic of a Me309 that doesn't seem to be very common:
me309-incident.jpg

Not sure when this happened, but must have been during it's testing stages and unfortunately, I've had this image for a while now, and don't remember any details about what's going on :(

I've always liked the top one Njaco. Wonder how the DB-engined Spitfire flew? Pilot report said fine, but it was a German, not a regular Spitfire pilot, who flew it.

Good Me 309 pic, Graugeist. I havn't seen that one before.

That is the Me309V-1 after a nose gear collapse.

Bf109X had the BMW801 (and a cowl similar to a Fw190), the one pictured above, is the Bf109 V-21 fitted with a P&W Twin Wasp radial.

*Edit*
Now that I'm looking at that photo here on the computer, it may be the X, not the V-21, because I don't see the horizontal stabilizer braces that were on the V-21 airframe, but at the same time, I don't see the bulge in the lower portion of the cowling that was apparent on the X version.

Last edited:
The problem with alot of the prototypes, is that the photos are usually obscure or non-existant and in many cases, become confused with cross-posting over time.

Bf109 V-21 (WkNmr 1770) P&W Twin Wasp project was built in 1939 on a Bf109E airframe and later became a Bf109F-0 pre production test frame.

The Bf109X project was later, and is surrounded by information gaps. From what I understand, the RLM nixed the project because of the demand for the 801 for the Fw190 and Do17

Bf 109 V1 with a Rolls Royce Kestrel engine, which just looks wrong (upside down) :)

IMG_1013_zpse6300368.gif

Bf 109 V13 ready for a world speed record attempt. It's specially prepared DB 601 engine had about double the horse power (1,660) of the V1 !

IMG_1014_zps15753e0e.gif

Cheers

Steve

Ever notice that V1 bears a resemblance to a P-40 with that radiator intake and cowl flaps? :lol:

I hadn't, but I can see what you mean.

The arrangement on the V1 was only ever an interim step towards the Jumo/DB installation of course.

Cheers

Steve

This pic was found on this site....

Anything But Wheels > Vintage Wings of Canada

with this caption:

A Messerschmitt Bf-109 had many different variants. One was the Bf-109W, a variant on floats of which there is little photographic record and this unknown variant on skis. Very little is to be found about this aircraft, so anyone with better photos or info is encourage to email us. Photo via ww2aircraft.net

From what I can see, the markings under the wing look like possible Finnish markings? Anybody have any info?

I also found this: Bf 109 with ski undercarriage - Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

but this pic appears to be an Emil and not a friedrich.

SkisandFloats54.jpg

Last edited:
also found this:

Limited experiments were performed early in the war with a Bf-109E-8 fitted with skis for winter operations, but the skis caused a performance penalty, and regular production Messerschmitts had no great troubles in using wheels under winter conditions. The idea went no further.

The Messerschmitt Bf-109

that nose gear set up would be interesting to taxi....wonder why they did keep it a tail dragger?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back