What do you make of this HE 111 picture?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Capt. Vick

Staff
Mod
Jul 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
Here is an odd picture (at least to me). Other then it being erroneously labeled as a cockpit scene from a Fw 200 what do you notice unusual about this picture? Well for starters it's a dedicated dual control cockpit with no swing-over yoke. Also, what is that non-standard instrument box mounted on that equally non-standard pillar mounted in front of and between the two crewmen. What do you make of it? I'm perplexed. A trainer of some sort? An equipment testbed aircraft? Anybody know for sure?

He-111 cropped.JPG

Oh, and the picture is from the very first Squadron-Signal In Action Book Luftwaffe Volume 1

Last edited:
Can't say for certain Jim, but would gues an experimental bird (maybe the V-1 (Fiesler Fi 103) test carrier or high-altitude TKL-15 supercharger test bed..? )

You could be right mate. Think the TKL-15 test bed might be a runner up though, that may have required the extra set of hands on steering. (I'm not an expert, mind you)

Though initially I had a problem figuring out what plane it actually was, I'm pretty sure it IS a He 111. A selection of photos from the web (google) seems to back that up. So the only new contender we should consider is the Zwilling, but again I think the original picture argues against that as it seems to have the standard throttle quadrant of a twin engined version. Again I refference the pictures below...

NOTE: The second photo appears to show another Luftwaffe dual control bird. Interesting, huh?

Heinkel%20He%20111%20Cockpit%20LH%20Trothler.jpg
Heinkel%20He%20111%20Cockpit%20RH.jpg
He111-Cockpit-3f-s.jpg
190184976970.jpg
he111-cockpit.jpg
170166942203.jpg

Excellent point about the throttle.

I was reading about the He 111 in Warplanes of the Third Reich by Green and it mentions the He 111P-3 being a dual control trainer modification of the earlier P-0 P-1's (page 295). That would be my guess.

Very good points Jim and Dave.
I believe yas may be right, especially since checking pics and coming to the conclusion that my 'He 177' cockpit photo is actually a mislabelled He 111 cockpit... :rolleyes:
No wonder the details were the same...

Curious about that instrument box though in the first pic you posted, it would appear to be attached below the main instrument panel. What was the function?

Here is an odd picture (at least to me). Other then it being erroneously labeled as a cockpit scene from a Fw 200 what do you notice unusual about this picture? Well for starters it's a dedicated dual control cockpit with no swing-over yoke. Also, what is that non-standard instrument box mounted on that equally non-standard pillar mounted in front of and between the two crewmen. What do you make of it? I'm perplexed. A trainer of some sort? An equipment testbed aircraft? Anybody know for sure?

View attachment 201429

Oh, and the picture is from the very first Squadron-Signal In Action Book Luftwaffe Volume 1

It looks like two of the instrument are "T'd" together - guessing that they are static instuments, I'd further guess that's a panel for instrument flying

Users who are viewing this thread

Back