WW2 aircraft wrecks in New Guinea..... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Howdy!
I stumbled upon this great site today and have a few things to share in regards to the Sunderland that got shot down near Sylling, Norway in 1940.
I am a native of Norway and grew up in the same county as Sylling, Lier, just 25 minutes further down the Lier valley. I am an airline pilot residing in Montana, USA. I regularly read on-line news from Lier and today there was a story from a few days ago about the memorial about this crash, an apparent part from the Sunderland. They article said that the aluminum piece had broken, not from vandalism though, and that someone should try to repair it in time for April 9, the day Norway was invaded in 1940 and the day of the shoot-down as well. I am going to try to attach the photos from the article.

The sign says that the wreckage is 8km's away in direction of the arrow.

Here's the link to the article with additional photos. I tried to insert them here but couldn't make it work. If for some reason the link doesn't work please email me and I will email you the photos.

Opp igjen

It's a bit sad to see that, but good news that someone will repair it. it does look like someone/thing had done something to it.

The last time I drove past it looked o/k, but that was last year.

cheers,

-John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back