5/Stg2 Ju 87 B-2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
guys, i'm looking for confirmation of the spinner colours for my Airfix Ju 87 B-2

i'm doing T6+KN of 5/Stg2 in france 1940, Airfix say half red and half green seperated by a thin white band
but the only other referance i have is a profile in Osprey's Stuka sqdn's book which calls for a green spinner with a single red band halfway down

any ideas ?????

Is that the one?

0-Ju-87B-5.StG2-(T6+KN)-Lannian-France-1940-0A.jpg

Last edited:
It's OK. Karl. I might have found a picture of the Stuka. There is one in Kagero book for Ju-87 vol.II page 55 with caption "Formation of Junkers Ju 87B-2 of 5./StG2 over France, spring 1940". Unfortunately it isn't of a very good quality and the nose of the Stuka with T6+K(N)? is hidden behind a tail of another Ju-87 seen partially in the shot. But there are three next Ju87s in the background with a view at spinners . Looking at their spinners with using of a magnifying glass it can be noticed that there is something lighter between the tip of spinners and the areas where the prop blades were. However it can be the glare effect as that day seems to be a sunny one. Also I found a image of T6+DN with caption that says the Ju-87 was flying over the Mediterranean in Spring 1941, ( Kagero , Ju-87 vol.IV, page 41). In this picture the white band between the spinner tip and the rear part is clearly seen.
Still looking for more.....

hmm, wonder if Airix have used a later varient of spinner marking as other staffel's of Stg2 seemed to have used a single coloured band during the BoB period.

thanks my friend, be interesting to see if anything turns up

It's possible Karl. I also think the spinner was of two colours only. Here a profile I found in J.Weal's book JU-87 Stuka 37-41, Osprey - Combat Aircraft 001.

Attachments

• Ju87 T6KN StG2.jpg
    Ju87 T6KN StG2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 704
that's the profile i have Wojtek, so untill i see any different i'm going with RLM70 with a red band !
i'm glad as well as it means a lot less masking and painting with only 2 colours !!!!!!

Last edited:
I also have a pic of T6+GN apearing in Ullmann's Luftwaffe Colours. It's purported to be taken over Bonn in Winter 39/40 and may very well be the same pic as Wojtek's talking about in post #4. There does aoppear to be a thin white band but I would not say it's conclusive. I'm time pressed now but will scan and post a pic tonight.

Just to add to the confusion, here's a couple of pics I found in 'German Bombers over England', by Bryan Philpott.
The captions are based on the information provided with the Bundes Archiv negatives, the number of which is shown in brackets at the end of each caption.
It's possible that each Staffel used a different spinner colour, although the first pic, as you will see, only states II/StG 2. Bit suspicious about the overall single upper surface colour mentioned though!

Attachments

• Can Jan 501.jpg
    Can Jan 501.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 271
  • Can Jan 502.jpg
    Can Jan 502.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 337
Do you mean this one Andy?

Yes, but the one I have is a better resolution. See below full pic and text followed by a close-up which to me might suggest a thin white band on the spinner (Source: Ullmann):

Attachments

• T6+GN Zoom.jpg
    T6+GN Zoom.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 301
  • T6+GN.jpg
    T6+GN.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 561
your right Andy it does suggest a thin white band, but if 5 staffel's colour is red why the "G" outlined in white.
if it is indeed white as it looks a little darker than the white outline on the swastika ?

and what i've also noticed is the different demarcation lines on the chin radiator on just about every profile and the Airfix instructions, yet pictures suggest it followed a panel line under the nose.

Last edited:
Maybe the G was red outlined in white? Hard to tell from the pic. I think the "darker" appearance of the white might be simply due to the fact that it is a much thinner line than on the swastika. As for the likely demarcation for your a/c, I'd go how it's seen on the plane just behind the tail of the one in the foreground in the above pic.

Yes, but the one I have is a better resolution. See below full pic and text followed by a close-up which to me might suggest a thin white band on the spinner (Source: Ullmann):

Yep.. you are right Andy. I have noticed it earlier too. And it would suggest there was the thin white strip. However I would like to make a focus and the period of time when the picture was taken. The caption says it was in the Winter of 1939/40. However the Winter in the Europe was very severe with snowfalls that year, as memory serves. If you have a close up look at the background of the image you will find no snow on the ground. Am I right? Well.. it looks like the Summer or early Autumn. Also it could have been in the Spring or late Spring rather.

thanks Wojtek / Andy for your time on this, gonna go with the single red band unless anyone is certain 5 staffel had the 3 coloured spinnner.
i think the three colours may have been a later scheme, when they moved to the Med !

Oh... and it is not the same picture I found in the Kagero book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back