flight suit and equipment pilot P-51 mustang WW2 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

deRaf2ndranger

Recruit
May 16, 2005
Hi everybody,

i am a collector of US ww2 and fascinated by the P-51 mustang, a true wonderful airplane. 8)

Besides my ww2 ranger and my ww2 paratrooper i want to collect the flight suit of a pilot flying the P-51 during ww2.

Was it a flight suit in one piece or did he wear trousers and jacket separately, what kind of boots did he wear, what kind of helmet,..? :?:

Can somebody help me with the right clothing or a link where i can find them?

thank you

Raf

Uniform standards for flight crews was pretty loose in WWII. For the most part, I think the mustang pilots wore the trouser and jacket. Here is a shot of some of the Mustang pilots of the 4th Fighter Group after returning from a shuttle mission to Russia and back. You can see the uniforms that they wore.

Attachments

• photo_202_969.jpg
    photo_202_969.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,338
heres kit of friend and Me 262 killer, Joe Petersburs from the 20th fg. hope the pic works and it will show you some of the kit....

Attachments

• peterburs-005_813.jpg
    peterburs-005_813.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 4,895
thanks guys,

that's something i can work with.

greetz

Raf

HI

I AM PAINTING A MODEL PILOT OF A P 51 MUSTANG PILOT AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE COLOUR SCHEME OF THE CLOTHING HELMET ETC

WESSEL

Hi Wessel. as you will have seen from the earlier posts, the clothing and equipment varied. The attached images should give you an idea, but note that the one piece flight suit, and the 'lighweight' dralon-type jacket, was also produced in an olive green fabric, and the suit also in a lighter, brown/olive colour. Some Mustang pilots, particularly those that had served with the R.A.F., preferred certain R.A.F. equipment, especially the flying boots, and often the 'Mae West' type life-jacket.
In the first plate, the pilot in the centre, with the sunglasses, is also wearing one of the very early Gerber 'G' suits, which were worked by a by-pass from the aircraft's vacuum system. The very first experimental ones were water filled!
Note also that the pilot on the left, 'Kit' Carson, is shown wearing a seat-type parachute; generally, Mustang pilots used a B4-Type, back-pack parachute, and a dinghy pack would hang where the parachute is shown, fitting into the seat pan as a cushion. I believe the illustration is incorrect.
These descriptions and illustrations are for E.T.O. pilots, there would be marked differences for M.T.O. and Pacific areas.
Hope this has helped some.
Terry.

Attachments

• Mustang pilots 1.jpg
    Mustang pilots 1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 2,033
  • Mustang pilots 2.jpg
    Mustang pilots 2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 3,365
Terry

Thanks for the info .I will send you a phote of my project once it's finished

Wessel

hmmmmmmmmmm think I need to find a colur pic or two for this thread real soon

here is a fine sample from the friends at the 364th fg

Attachments

• 5e-l.jpg
    5e-l.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 693
well the colour photo I presented shows the US uni's quite nicely with the artists renderings in the Osprey title

Users who are viewing this thread

Back