Hendon 1936

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

doglove2005

Airman
Jul 5, 2009
Hi, all, (this is my first try to this forum, so I am sorry if I have any mistakes/rudeness)

I have interest with Hendon Flying Display 1936 and have some questions. I have only One photo of it at P.64 of "The Bristol BLENHEIM A complete history" by G.Warner.
I am very happy if you will give me some suggestions.
My first question is the colour of Hampden K4240. M.Postlethwaite wrote
…The gross green paint and the "wallpapered" nose glazing hardly helped to improve its natural good looks…. in "Hampden squadrons of World War II: in focus" .
What type of "GREEN" was it? Light green? Dark green? Brilliant green?
And what colour was the "wallpaper"? Please give me your ideas, hopefully with colour names from:
JPS MODELL - British Colors
Color Reference Charts -  United Kingdom
British WW2 colors
and so on.
Second question. What is a small aircraft (only wing and fuselage?) between Hampden and Lysander?
The last ask. Are there any books that have many photos of Hendon 1936? Is "Flying at Hendon" by Clive R. Smith have many photos?

Thank you.

My first question is the colour of Hampden K4240. M.Postlethwaite wrote
…The gross green paint and the "wallpapered" nose glazing hardly helped to improve its natural good looks…. in "Hampden squadrons of World War II: in focus" .
What type of "GREEN" was it? Light green? Dark green? Brilliant green?
And what colour was the "wallpaper"? Please give me your ideas

Hi "doglove" and welcome to the forum. Any chance of scanning and uploading the Hendon 1936 line-up photo to identify the "small aircraft?"

According to a 1986 Aeroplane Monthly article, K4240 had the nose panelling covered with aluminium sheeting ("wallpapered") to stop the public at Hendon from peering into the 'secret' bomber and the paintwork was described as "glossy grey-green". Sorry I can't be of any more help.

I tried to scan and uploard.

Thanks doglove but I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking at! Intriguing. It looks as if the rear fuselage and tail are 'missing' and it's grown eyes! Being a Hendon display it must be an RAF type of some description? I've had no success with googling. A logical explanation there must be, but I haven't found it yet.

Thank you Graeme! Your illustration makes the shape sure.
I check some books and found there MANY aircrafts are! Single engine, low wing monoplane, squired fuselage.
Miles M.3
Miles M.3A Falcon G-AEEG
Or M.4 (I could not find image)
M.11
Miles Whitney Straight at Defford Air Day - PPRuNe Forums
Airspeed AS.5 (I could not find image)
Percival Gull
File:Jean Batten's Percival Gull.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Percival Vega Gull
PERCIVAL VEGA GULL PERCIVAL PROCTOR IV photo - Graham Whitehead photos at pbase.com
I once thought it was crushed Vega Gull of Mrs. Beryl Markham, but her flight started September 4.

Hi Tzaw1, thank you very much, too!
I could see Flight 1936-1799 by your help.

"sombre mud colour, which may signify a revision of official colour schemes"
Is this mean later (from 1938)"Dark Earth"? "Mud" may not any green.
Difficult!

I think you guys are on the right track. That 'black hole' and 'angry eyes' are most likely two spectators on the port side. Thanks to alcohol, I think I'm seeing things better tonight. The Miles Falcon sounds promising, but shouldn't there be a rooftop window on the port side?

Square rounded? Nighthawk.

Attachments

• Miles-Night-Hawk.jpg
    Miles-Night-Hawk.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 116
Hope you don't mind "doglove" but I tried your request on a British based Forum and got some very good feedback. See here...

Hendon 1936 - PPRuNe Forums

A Miles product is certainly a contender and in particular the Nighthawk as TzawI mentioned above and the "walkaround" commentary mentioned by mustpost on the other Forum makes perfect sense. He also mentions the French Simoun which would now be my choice based purely on the absence(?) of top cabin windows.

Cheers.

Thank you Graeme for your quest!

I think, it may be the key that " equipped for blind flying instruction" Tazaw1 kindly mentioned. I feel probability that upper part of door had been changed to simple metal plate without window, and paint with black side two pairs of (and might be front) windows for emphasize " equipped for blind flying instruction".
If it was, roof of M7 became looks similar to windowless Simoun.
How do you feel?

I like the Simoun, but your theory sounds good. Pity we have no shots from the other side of the display, eh? :|

Users who are viewing this thread

Back