identification part of aircraft (excavation)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

turilli

Airman
Dec 26, 2011
Hello guys, i found this small trapdoor in the ground on a crash, but it's the only intact piece, i think it's USAAF but what is the aircraft and where on the aircraft?

Thanks.

Attachments

• P1030375.JPG
    P1030375.JPG
    986 KB · Views: 193
  • P1030376.JPG
    P1030376.JPG
    890.9 KB · Views: 217
I can't identify the stamp. In the first pic on the right side of the panel there appears to be a series of numbers. Can you clean the panel off and identify those numbers?

BTW on the first pic, lower left portion of the panel, there is a small piece of metal riveted to the left triange clip that slides under a recessed area that keeps the panel in place. That is part of a small chain that prevents the panel from being removed directly from the aircraft.

Good stuff Joe! I'd seen this on a part of wreck dug from the ground years ago, and it 'rung bells'. Wasn't sure, but looks like it's probably the answer.
The stencils also bear this out.
So, where in France? Given a location and, just going of the NG paint, it might be possible to identify the aircraft/unit etc.

If it's a P-47M and it was found it France, then it has to be the 56th FG. They are the only group that used the P-47M

I can't identify the stamp. In the first pic on the right side of the panel there appears to be a series of numbers. Can you clean the panel off and identify those numbers?

BTW on the first pic, lower left portion of the panel, there is a small piece of metal riveted to the left triange clip that slides under a recessed area that keeps the panel in place. That is part of a small chain that prevents the panel from being removed directly from the aircraft.

Can't be sure, but possibly the access hatch cover for the flap actuating cylinder on a P47.

It might be!!!!

Yw69069.jpg

If it's a P-47M and it was found it France, then it has to be the 56th FG. They are the only group that used the P-47M

You guys are amazing!!! :!: :D :shock:

Very good and fast works guys,

i detect since 2000 on places of 1914 1918, and when i found pieces of aircraft i kept them without worrying me about it, they had no important for me, it's only for 2 years when i prefer aviation WW2 has the first war, that's why i look for my old searchs at my parents in countryside. the place of excavation isn't well defined, but i search to find historic of plane.

i found the other but the last one.

Thanks for all.

P1030378.JPG
P1030380.JPG

the number on right is the same for two : A89C22247 2R (2R for flap cyl) right i think
A89C22247 2L (2L for 7) left

the middle number is: 89C22247 4, this number means anything?

Well done for "part of a small chain"

The A89XXXXXX is from the P-47D. You are correct about the Left and Right numbering system. The "89C22247 4" might be the basic part number without the chain installation.

Where in France (the nearest town) did you find these items?

: Idea: l remenber the origin, it's comes from USAAF airfield of Laon (130 km=80 milles north east of Paris)

: Idea: l remenber the origin, it's comes from USAAF airfield of Laon (130 km=80 milles north east of Paris)
Wikipedia tells me there were two airbases at Laon. Laon-Couvron housed the 50th FG, Laon-Athies housed the 368th FG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back