Japanese aircraft instruments

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ob'98

Airman
Oct 17, 2007
Hi. Here is another A/C instrument that is supposedly from WW2, Japanese; can anyone confirm or ID it? It has two inputs with a selector for each input. Temp gauge for what? Thanks.
jap5a.gif

Perhaps since it is selectible it can indicate OAT or Cockpit temp.? Thanks.

This is another one. I think this may be a MAP indicator (manifold pressure). Is it ww2? Thanks.
jap2a.gif

This one has two fuel lines going to it. Twin engine or two tank?
jap3a.gif
Thanks for the help.

Picture 2 is a Type 1 Manifold Pressure Gauge Model 3 produced by Tanaka Indicator production place.

I think your right on the manifold pressure gage - I'd guess the second gage is fuel flow.
Thanks. Usually a fuel flow indicator will be electrically driven from a fuel flow transmitter on the engine or in the fuel line somewhere. Since these two lines going to the instrument are tubing I think they are pressure indicating. They could be pneumatic lines and not fuel. ? thanks again and keep up the comments!

Hi Micdrow,

>Picture 2 is a Type 1 Manifold Pressure Gauge Model 3 produced by Tanaka Indicator production place.

Does the lettering comment on the scale?

I'd guess that it's x "10 mm water column", which would give 0.48 hPa to 1.55 hPa range (ca. 14 to 46" Hg).

I wonder what the function of the white marker is ... and is there a black marker outside of the scale, too?

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Actually wrong on picture 2 which I stated as a Type 1 Manifold Pressure Gauge Model 3 produced by Tanaka Indicator production place. This gauge is rated from +-50 which cleary this gauge can not.

This gauge is a Type 98 Manifold Pressure Gauge made by Shinagawa production place which goes as you can read from +- 40

Hi Micdrow,

>Picture 2 is a Type 1 Manifold Pressure Gauge Model 3 produced by Tanaka Indicator production place.

Does the lettering comment on the scale?

I'd guess that it's x "10 mm water column", which would give 0.48 hPa to 1.55 hPa range (ca. 14 to 46" Hg).

I wonder what the function of the white marker is ... and is there a black marker outside of the scale, too?

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi Henning,

This one will take a little long to dig up, Im no expert on these in fact I have a ace in the hole to help identify these. About 5 years ago there was a japanese website that dealt specifically with Japanese Gauges, marking and such. Every thing you can possibly think of for japanese aircraft insturments where translated and written in English. Page by page I printed almost the entire web page. Dont ask me why. Its the only time Ive ever done it and probably the last I ever will do. It even tells you what aircraft these insturments can be used in. Litterally this info is about an inch high if you lay every thing out on top of each other. The lists are not complete but it helps alot. In this section there was also a short list of both Army and Navy gun sites. I do have a few books that also deal with this subject so hopefully I can give you a correct answer. Needless to say the web site is long gone.

Gotta say though this has everything including production numbers and dates on some of them when they first came out for production.

Sorry for the long paragraph.

Hi Micdrow,

>About 5 years ago there was a japanese website that dealt specifically with Japanese Gauges, marking and such. Every thing you can possibly think of for japanese aircraft insturments where translated and written in English.

Wow, great you saved it before it went offline! :) That's a real treasure - all the more because Japanese aircraft really aren't covered as well as they'd deserve in the "western" literature yet :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

What really makes it the treasure is it has pictures of all the gauges. I just wished now I would have done the whole thing in color in stead of my laser printer for most of it.

Picture 5 is a Carburetor Air Temperature Gauge, produced by the Fuji Aviation Indicator Co, Inc used on the Raiden.

-50~+40 Duel switching 1 and 2

Here you go HoHun, hopefully this will answer your question. This info came from the book Japanese Aircraft Equipment 1940-1945 by Robert C Mikesh. Has lot of info on gauges and stuff. Not as many pictures as I got from the web site but still very useful if you are into Japanese aircraft.

Attachments

• Pic 1.JPG
    Pic 1.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 166
  • pic 2.JPG
    pic 2.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 167
Here is the 5th and last photo of my indicators. You all have been very helpful and after all information is accumulated I intend to attach it to each indicator for future use. Thanks again and here is the last one.
jap4a.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back