Mosquito MM417 EG-T, 487 Squadron RNZAF

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wirbelwind

Airman
Sep 8, 2009
Would anyone happen to the fate of Mosquito MM417 EG-T of 487 Squadron RNZAF? Apparently it didn't see a lot of action but was very well documented nonetheless.

I would also like to know if this aircraft was built as a FB.VI and whether or not it was converted to another version later on in its life.

It was on the Squadron for only two days I believe, and just happened to be the aircraft used for Press photos. Somewhere, I have the info on where it went to, which I think was the neighbouring Sqn, but no further info on its fate. It was, of course, replaced by another EG-T.

Ah, I see. I'm more interested in what happened to the aircraft itself, rather than how long it served on each squadron.

Last edited:
Here is a short note I have found in Osprey book ' Mosquito Aces of WW2'

Attachments

• Mosquito EG_T_info1.jpg
    Mosquito EG_T_info1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 654
Here is a short note I have found in Osprey book ' Mosquito Aces of WW2'

Interesting! Taking into account what Airframe said, was MM417 squadron 487's EG-T during its last mission?

If that's correct, then the following photo must have been taken only days before its crash: Mosie464467.jpg

It's possible. However I have to check that. Here you are another shot of the Mossie I have found via the Net.

Attachments

• Mosquito EG_T_.jpg
    Mosquito EG_T_.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,407
It seems to be carrying the same loadout in both photos. I think it's likely that they could have been taken on the same mission.

Would it be possible to determine if MM417 was squadron 487's EG-T throughout March 1944?

Last edited:
I'll check but can't promise there might be found anything more. In meantime one more shot of the EG_T machine. Source - the Internet.

Attachments

• Mosquito EG_T_3.jpg
    Mosquito EG_T_3.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,623
OK. Here you are what I have found so far about the Mossie in the book 'The 2nd TAF - Spartan to Normandy, June 1943-June 1944 by Christopher Shores Chris Thomas.
The two captions are printed with these two pictures I posted in the post #6 and #8.

Attachments

• Mosquito EG_T_4.jpg
    Mosquito EG_T_4.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 487
  • Mosquito EG_T_5.jpg
    Mosquito EG_T_5.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 447
And here info and images from 'Mosquito Aces of WW2' by Osprey.

Attachments

• Mosquito EG_T- Mosquito aces ww2 osprey.jpg
    Mosquito EG_T- Mosquito aces ww2 osprey.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 952
  • Mosquito EG_T_profile1a.jpg
    Mosquito EG_T_profile1a.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 592
Thank you Pal. :D

To sum up..... believing these captions and authors' of books the Mosquito coded EG_T, serial MM417 was used by no.487 RNZAF Squadron from , at least 29 February 1944 to 26 March 1944 when she was lost.

Excellent info... exactly what I was looking for, and more. I had no idea that those photos were taken just after the prison raid.

Thanks, Wurger!

Your welcome. But you have to know that MM417 didn't participate in Operation Jericho because the Mossie did not arrive at Hundson until after the mission.

Your welcome. But you have to know that MM417 didn't participate in Operation Jericho because the Mossie did not arrive at Hundson until after the mission.

Yes, I just found that out through Wikipedia. It looks like MM417 was sent to Hundson to replace HX982 as EG-T, which was badly damaged during the raid.

Exactly, HX982 was coded EG_T at the time and flew on the Amiens raid. P/O M N Sparks (RNZAF) piloted HX982 during the mission.

Above from Wojtek also stated in Mosquito Bomber/Fighter Bomber Units 1942-45. There seem to be at least 3 pics of the 3 ship formation that includes EG-T taken on 29 Feb'44: The above two plus a third one in the aforementioned book taken from an 11 O'clock position.

This is slightly off topic, but I've noticed that some of the later Mosquitos had pressurized cockpits. Did any of the later FB.VI Mosquitos also have these?

I haven't heard about FB. VI variant with the pressurized cockpit. The first Mosquito bomber with the kind of cockpit was B. XVI. It was a variant of the B.IX High Altitude bomber without the kind of a cockpit, used by the RAF as Pathfinders. The B.XVI was powered by RR Merlin 72, 73, 76 or 77. Its bombload was of 1362kg. In 1944 it was fitted with 1816kg of bombs in its bomb bay in the fuselage and additional fuel tanks of 50 gallons. The alternative was attaching additional outer fuel tanks of 100 gallons and 4x226,8 kg bombs on wing racks.
The P.R. XVI was the photo reconnaissance version developed from the B. XVI and was equipped with the pressurized cockpit. Also the P.R. 34 and the bomber variat of that plane B.35.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back