PZL P-24

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ndicki

Senior Airman
Oct 2, 2006
I have to do the Greek Air Force skin for the PZL P-24 to be released with the Mediterranean Air War freeware add-on for CFS3, and I was wondering if anybody could help with photos, plans, profiles, etc, both in Greek and other (Romanian, etc) service. Thanks in advance!

Here are some Greek PZL P-24:

Eagle:p

Attachments

• P-24 Greek.jpg
    P-24 Greek.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 584
Colors and Markings
In Greek service P.24s initially remained in natural metal finish with only national markings applied. Later during October 1940 the Greek air force standardized on a medium green, brown and light blue color scheme the colors being roughly similar to those of contemporary British RAF aircraft. This scheme was random, the shape of the camouflage was determined by the mechanics detailed to paint the aircraft.

Serial numbers were allotted in sequence, each aircrafts serial number being prefixed by the letter "Delta (Δ)" meaning Dioxe (en, Fighter ). The letters were applied using black paint universally. Later in the war a directive was issued ordering squadrons to repaint the serial numbers in white paint. This order does not seem to have been completely implemented by all squadrons due to the pressure of combat.

Until the early phases of the German-Italian invasion of Greece the national markings consisted of roundels in the three standard positions and a rudder flash. In October 1940 several changes were made in the markings policy of the Greek air force. The rudder flash was deleted and the blue areas of the roundels were repainted in a darker shade of blue. During this repainting action the upper wing roundels seem to have been universally deleted. The lower wing roudels are another matter, on some aircraft they were deleted but on others they are present. The matter is further complicated by the fact that the omission or deleting of the rudder flash seems to predate October 1940 on some aircraft. But the PZL definitely had no finflash applied after October 1940. Another matter that has only recently been brought to my attention is the fact that P.24´s had a black stripe applied to the underside of the wing to avoid friendly FLAK fire incidents. This stripe does not seem to have been applied to all P.24 fighters. I would very much like to obtain data on which aircraft (as in Δ<insert serial number>) had these stripes applied.

Attachments

• greek_p24f_d102.jpg
    greek_p24f_d102.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 367
Very useful info there - thanks! Any pics showing the black stripe? I didn't know about that at all!

Hi !!!
Two shots of the beautiful plane.
Source unknow:

Attachments

• P24B_bulgaria.jpg
    P24B_bulgaria.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 354
  • P24F_Greece.jpg
    P24F_Greece.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 424
The link to details of the Turkish P-24 I hope it can be useful:
P.Z.L. XXIV "PEZETEL" GALLERY

And some pics of the Turkish ones.In adittion, some of the different profiles.:)

source unknown:

Attachments

• P24C_Turkey4.jpg
    P24C_Turkey4.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 416
  • P24C_Turkey3.jpg
    P24C_Turkey3.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 301
  • P24C_Turkey2.jpg
    P24C_Turkey2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 366
  • P24C_Turkey1.jpg
    P24C_Turkey1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 328
  • P24C_Turkey.jpg
    P24C_Turkey.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 320
  • P24C_Turcja_1939.gif
    P24C_Turcja_1939.gif
    28.3 KB · Views: 318
  • greek_p24f.jpg
    greek_p24f.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 367
  • pzl24g.jpg
    pzl24g.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 427
Wurger, thanks - those pics on the Turkish website are just the thing, since I can even make out the riveting - not always easy to get right!

I see.There a pic of the front part of the cockpit.I hope it was helpful.

source unknown:

Attachments

• P24_cockpit_b.jpg
    P24_cockpit_b.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 524
Always useful - thanks again! BTW, if you want to get an idea of the possible result, go to the sports/what do you play thread - most of those aircraft I painted.

Concerning the Pzl p.24, the Polish airforce made a huge mistake not adopting it in time for the German invasion. It was superior to the p.11 that they used , but they didn't put it into service as they were waiting for the p.50 to be produced.
The p.24 was put to good use against the Italians by the greeks. An important point to remember is that the greeks thus had an aircraft armed with two oerlikon cannons, where as no italian fighters in this theatre (or any Italian aircraft at at that time) were armed with cannons!
You can imagine what damage it would do to german bombers during the invasion of Poland, especially considering the lightly armed pzl p.11 brought down quite a few .

Concerning the Pzl p.24, the Polish airforce made a huge mistake not adopting it in time for the German invasion. It was superior to the p.11 that they used , but they didn't put it into service as they were waiting for the p.50 to be produced.

The PZL P-24 was not used by PAF for some reasons.The first was the cost of P-24.The cost of the plane was higher then P-11 with Bristol Jupiter engine which was produced in Poland by PZL engine factory.For instance, in 1936 the cost of P-11 was 63,5 thousand zloty for an aircraft frame,95 thousand zloty for an engine,14 thousand for armament and 6 thousand for radio-set.Generaly 178,5 thousand zloty for each plane.So P-24 which was better equipped with GR 14N7 engine ( wasn't produced in Poland) and better armament than P-11 had to cost much more.According to some articles in Polish magazines ,in 1935 The commander of PAF Gen. L.Rayski was informed that there weren't founds in 1936/37 and 1937/38 years for fighter production.As a result the talks about P-24 suplies for the PAF could start in 1938 ( in fact 1937 ).
The second reason was that the P-24 was intended for export only to obtain founds for PZL factory for new designs and production.
The third reason was that "the Polish wing" didn't become more popular in the world.The western countries started assembling new low-wing aircrafts that were equipped with new engines 950-1200 HP giving them speed over 530 km/h.Even if the P-24 would be powered by a 1200 HP engine its speed couldn't cut across 530 km/h probably.Therefore the new plane ,designed with contemporary in that period of time ideas ,was needed.The P-50 could be a good solution but the design was started too late and there wasn't sure if the one could be equel to the modern German BF-109E.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back