Yak-7 as a night fighter? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JCS

Senior Airman
Jul 15, 2004
Nicholson, PA
I was just watching a documentary on the Yak-3 and they mentioned something about Yak-7bs being used as night fighters. I never heard anything about this before, anyone have any more info on it?

Hi !!!
According to Squadron/Signal publications nr.78 and polish publications TBU nr.25 and 92 ,night fighter YAK7B/PVO (anti-aircraft defence) was equiped with RPK-10 radio-compass,electrical illuminated gunsight, a light for night landing and electrically powered undercarriage position indicator lights.Besides,RSI-4 radio-set and a kind of radio-localizator were installed on it. The rest of its equipment was like Yak 7B standard. The Yak 7B/PVO night fighters were used during the defence of Moscow.Although, I haven't found any picture of the Yak 7B/PVO yet,it seems that the camouflage of Yak7B was like the russian daily scheme.

Hi !!!
There is a photo of Yak-7b (later version) in the foreground, in the background we can see Yak-7B early production serie.Both planes served in 12Guard Figter Regiment of 6 Figter Corps of Anti-air Defence during defence of Moscow in 1942. The colour scheme presents Yak-7B from 169 Figter Regiment with a standart camouflage.

Attachments

• jak7b_12giap_pvo_moscow_1942_976.jpg
    jak7b_12giap_pvo_moscow_1942_976.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 269
  • yak7b_169iap_1942_color_149.jpg
    yak7b_169iap_1942_color_149.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 264

Users who are viewing this thread

Back