Doras Galoras - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Who's up for this?

Evan (A4K) has stalled on his Brown 4 wide tailed Dora build and he and I got chattin' about doing a couple of wide tails together as I've been meaning to do Black 6, WNr 500645 of III/JG2 at some point. Then Dale (Dneid) chimed in and said he'd like to get a Dora going. And, although it's Wayne's favourite aircraft, he's been quiet so far......

So here's the deal. If anyone is interested in finishing a FW190D build, post your build in this thread. That's right, one thread for everyone's progress shots so we can cheer each other on and share info as we go. Finished shots could be posted separately in a "Finished" post. Entries can be any FW190 D model: D-9, -11, or -13 wide tail or otherwise, any scale. Entries won't be subject to the usual judging, just the comments from our esteemed forum members!

I suggest we use a start date of Feb 1 and run it to, let's say, the end of August. Suggestions welcome on this. So speak up if you're interested!

A summary of declared builds and finished pics can be found in this separate thread: http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/airplanes/doras-galoras-gb-finished-pics-39856.html#post1095681

Last edited:
I might get in on it. That nice long running length is appealing - no stress hopefully, and I have a Tamiya D-9 I have in the stash that I just pulled out a couple of weeks ago to look at again. Nice to get out the Sotar 20/20 and do a Luftwaffe camo again. Haven't used it since the BoB build.

Just looked at the first 3 or 4 pages of your White 11 thread Andy and if I start on this it looks like I'm going to need a lot of help with color choices
:confused:

Yes, and interesting period and there's definitely plenty of help. also, plenty of schemes to chose from. Here's Eduard's interpretation of Black 6 that Ill do for this build.

Black 6.jpg

Hey, Andy,
You know I am up for this! This will be my very first GB, so be gentle with me, you scoundrels! I am really looking forward to this. However, Andy, be forewarned, I am going to be leaning on you terribly during the painting phase. The subtle shades in Luftwaffe schemes at that stage of the war are something I NEVER felt that I understood all that well.

The following link is my post of the out of the box, first look of the Eduard 1/48 Dora:
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/start-finish-builds/eduard-1-48-fw-190d-9-a-35517.html

Thanks for pulling this together, Andy.

Dale

Last edited:
Quiet so far hey.....:D

Resistance is futile.....so i guess it's just a matter of squeezing it in between the mass of other builds i got goin' on...no big deal!!

Mmmm......which one to do.....so many so little time...:lol:

Glen and Dale, if you want to keep it simple you could do early production machines that don't require head screwing analysis, they were straight forward in scheme.
Once you get a taste....THEN you move on to the variations encountered with the later D series....:D

Now....back to thinking about a Dora...

Good stuff guys. Dale, I take your warning but there are plenty of folks around here who know more about the late schemes than I do. One of the nice things about doing this is that it can keep the discussion and learning going.

Hey, Andy,
Yeap, I am sure there are a few folks I will learn from on this GB. I am soooooo looking forward to this. I am really struggling to keep my hands off the Eduard kit until 1 Feb. I do have Shangri-La to keep me busy the next couple of weeks though.
Dale

Nothing magic about Feb 1. We can push it ahead if you want and I may join you as my White 11 base should be done soon. My Eduard box is starting to tremble and it's going to jump off the shelf soon.

Cheers for getting this thread up Andy!

Good to have yas aboard Dale, Glenn and Wayne - hopefully others will join too!

Good time frame too, though I reckon bugger waiting till feb to start, let's kick it off now! :)

Might join in as well later, with a '13' of some sort, tempted to get another couple of Hasegawa 1/32 'Doras'... See how I feel, still looking for inspiration.
So many '13s' so little time! :lol:

Edit:

D-9 210982 White 13 1./JG26
D-9 213240 Red 13
D-9 500093 Yellow 13 3./JG26
D-9 601305 Black 13 6./JG26
D-9 210063 Red 13 12./JG54
D-9 210176 White 13 5./JG26
D-9 210241 Red 13 6./JG301
D-9 210913 Red 13 6./JG301 (which I'm building now)
D-9 210919 Yellow 13 7./JG301
D-9 210935 Blue 13 4./JG26
D-9 211068 Black 13 6./JG6
D-9 211095 Black 13 10./JG54
D-9 400208 Brown 13 7./JG26
D-9 400209 Blue 13 8./JG26
D-9 400241 White 13 1./JG26
D-9 600174 White 13 1./JG26

Last edited:
1/48 Focke Wulf Fw190D-9 Blue 12 8/JG6 WNr 500570
Doras Galoras! Unofficial Group Build

User Name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Kit: Tamiya
Scale: 1/48th.
Accessories: True Details resin wheels. Maybe more.

I was sitting there at my work bench having just glued up the wing of my Shrike and I saw the D-9 box sitting there, calling to me, so I guess I'm "Officially" in on this build. Not much yet, just stuck the fuselage halves together. I don't think I'm going to go wild with the detailing on this one, just concentrate more on the finish.
No idea about colors or decals yet. I'll figure that out along the way with help from you guys.

P1139219.JPG
P1139220.JPG

Last edited:
Great stuff guys. I'd say start when you're ready as there are no real rules around this GB.

Cory, this would be the perfect opportunity to tackle what might appear to be an intimidating build as you can bounce ideas off people who are doing similar stuff at the same time.

Ok, here's what I've got. Same kit as Glenn, it was in the batch that was given to me. It's also been glued together, but no cockpit tub has been inserted. One of the first issues I see is that the instructions for the Aires set doesn't tell you what to cut off of the kit part of the nose, so I suppose you're just supposed to lob the whole thing off?

Here's a picture:

Focke-Wulf Fw 190D detail set, Aires 4019

Just spotted this - was about to start a Ju88 A4 but happy to go with the Dora so count me in.

I'm liking the long run aspect.

The decision is what to do :?:

I'm sat looking at the Eduard D-11/D-13 Dual Combo and the D9 JV44 box to go with my collection of Luftwaffe interceptors.

Not sure I can cope with 4 at once but I'll try one (maybe 2).

Tending towards Lt. Karl-Heinz Hofmann D-11 Red 4 from JV44 and D13/R11 Yellow 10 from Stab./JG26

Will they do, do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back