| || ||1||2||3||4||5|
|27||28||29||30||31|| || |
Random - Profiles
View Larger Image
Curtiss P-40 Warhawk
The Curtiss P-40 was an American single-engine, single-seat, all-metal fighter and ground attack aircraft that first flew in 1938. It was used by the air forces of 28 nations, including those of most Allied powers during World War II, and remained in front line service until the end of the war. By November 1944, when production of the P-40 ceased, 13,738 had been built, all at Curtiss-Wright Corporation's main production facility at Buffalo, New York.
The P-40 design was a modification of the previous Curtiss P-36; this reduced development time and enabled a rapid entry into production and operational service.
Warhawk was the name the United States Army Air Corps adopted for all models, making it the official name in the United States for all P-40s. The British Commonwealth and Soviet air forces used the name Tomahawk for models equivalent to the P-40B and P-40C, and the name Kittyhawk for models equivalent to the P-40D and all later variants.
The P-40's lack of a two-stage supercharger made it inferior to Luftwaffe fighters such as the Messerschmitt Bf 109 or the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 in high-altitude combat and it was rarely used in operations in Northwest Europe. Between 1941 and 1944, however, the P-40 played a critical role with Allied air forces in three major theaters: North Africa, the Southwest Pacific and China. It also had a significant role in the Middle East, Southeast Asia, Eastern Europe, Alaska and Italy. The P-40's high-altitude performance was not as critical in those theaters, where it served as an air supremacy fighter, bomber escort and fighter bomber.
Profile: American Aircraft Of World War II
Published by Chancellor Press Ltd.
Fighters of the United States Air Force
Published by Temple Press/Aerospace.
| Date: Mon February 1, 2010
Filesize: 47.2kb, 548.6kb
Dimensions: 950 x 2477
Keywords: curtiss p40 warhawk
Junior MemberSee all User Photos
Registered: November 2009
Location: Florida, Johannesburg Sub-Structure, Gauteng, South Africa