Image Sizing Guidelines (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gnomey

Globetrotting Surgeon General
Staff
Mod
In light of the large numbers of images that are uploaded to the forum as attachments without resizing them from the original picture from the digital camera/other device. This results in a really large image.

FOR THE FORUM THE RECOMMENDED IMAGE SIZE IS 1600*1600 Pixels

TO RESIZE AN IMAGE FOR UPLOAD

There is an easy workaround to this which is too resize the image before you upload it. This can be done in any number of freeware programs. The one that I would recommend (and I use it for quick jobs when not using Photoshop) is Irfanview. This can be downloaded from here: IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

To resize a picture with Irfanview is easy and can be done is 3 simple steps.

1) Load Irfanview and the image you wish to resize.
2) Go to menu Image :arrow: Resize/Resample and reduce the image dimensions in pixels.
3) Go to menu File :arrow: Save as, choose JPG and save as new file with a different file name to the original and upload to the forum.

For many files you can use File :arrow: Batch Conversion

Last edited by a moderator:
I,m useing HP photosmart to resize mine its even simpler just hit resize then email size save as then save and hey presto done.BB

I tried irfanveiw Terry but could,t get on with it i have both hp photosmart and hp premier i find them alot more easy to use cheers anyway .BB

I use Microsoft picture manager to resize the pictures. It came with the computer and is easy to use. Open the picture with it then click on Edit Pictures at the top, then click on Resize over on the right side of the screen, then type in the desired pixel width in the box under Custom Width x Height then click on OK. The picture will regenerate at the new size and then hit the save bottom on top and your done.

I tried irfanveiw Terry but could,t get on with it i have both hp photosmart and hp premier i find them alot more easy to use cheers anyway .BB

Uusung the Irfanview , all you have to do is to click the pic you want to re-size.And then hit the buttons Ctrl and R together.In the opened requester you need to write a new width of a picture for instance and click OK button And then Save button on the tool bar. Can it be anyting easier?

For the ones using Linux, there's very quick way to resize all jpg files in a map, by typing:
mogrify -resize 640 *.jpg
This resizes all .jpg files to 640 pix wide maintaining ratio

Help, how do you post an image? I see the insert image icon but when i click on it, it ask for a URL? my pics are on my computer. i tried copy and paste but after copy paste is not available. What do i do?

Click on the "Advanced" button, then go down to the "Manage Attachment" button, and you will see 5 "Browse" buttons. Click on them and attach the picture on your computer. You can do 5 at a time, then it allows you another 5, and so on.

tbolt, thanks i got that far, now how do i get the pic actually into the post? the insert image still asks for a URL

After you click on 'Manage Attachments' the window that comes up has places for both URLs and Upload from your computer. The Upload From Your Computer section is the 5 "Browse ' buttons at the top of the window. Click on one of the "Browse" buttons and a window will open up showing the directories on your computer. find where the picture file is and double click on it and it will appear in the box. if you have another picture do the same with the next "Browse" button. When you have all the pictures, or have filled all 5 boxes click "upload". it will take a little bit and the picture files will appear below. if you want more pictures repeat. When done you can click "Preview Post" and see what it looks like. When you like it hit "Submit Post". Make sure the pictures are 800x600 or less

Edit: Just saw you were from the Chicago area Too. Thought I was the only one.

Last edited:
yup good old joliet, but you misunderstood my second post. i uploaded my pics and i see them in the manage attachment box. how do i get them from there actually into the post box? clicking on the insert image icon still brings up that URL question.

marcel, so once the images are up loaded and displayed in the attachment box they automatically appear in the message box?
sat here for several minutes and nothing happened

Users who are viewing this thread

Back