Duxford Flying Legends 2005 videos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rolls Royce Griffon and a pair of Merlins give a static display

Attachments

• griffon_and_merlins_134.wmv
    6.2 MB · Views: 120
Nice videos. It's a shame about that wing fire in one of the previous vids, but it could have been a lot worse I guess.
I agree with the guys, those fellas putting out the fire didn't seem to have a clue what they were doing. Fire extinguishers are quite simple to use if you know how, and like FBJ said, it's important to know what type to use on any given fire. A half-day of fire fighting training is about all it would take. Maybe less.

I dont think they even had any extinguishers very close to hand Skim which for an aircraft that had a full load of passengers was very dodgy I thought.

Attachments

• lancaster_part_2_135.wmv
    7.5 MB · Views: 95
  • lancaster_part_1_122.wmv
    9.2 MB · Views: 101
That's kind of odd. For us at the museum, we can't even do an engine start without at least one extinguisher nearby. Typically the ground marshall will have one and watch the aircraft at start to make sure that he isn't giving too much prime. The marshall can spot that quickly as it will almost always cause an exhaust stack fire. Hand signals will indicate that and the pilot will know to decrease the prime and the stack fire will extinguish.

For the multi engine, the marshall stands to one side of the aircraft while another fire-spotter will stand on the other side. I am quite surprised that a museum like Duxford does not use the same procedures. We are not allowed to start any engine without a fire bottle at the ready.

Cheers for that Evan at least it makes me feel that its worth posting them.
I noticed that you live not far from Camarillo off the 101 does it take you long to drive there?. it looks quite convenient for both the airfield,the city and Mugu park

Well, I'm not in Thousand Oaks anymore, but in Moorpark, which is just North and West of Thousand Oaks. To the airport is about 15-20 minutes without traffic from either location. Where I live now is almost all residential homes, with a few shops and restaurants. But there is plenty of other stores and such about 10-15 minutes away in either TO or Simi Valley.

Sounds a nice area Evan Im about an 1hr 10 from Duxford so Its pretty conveniant. I forgot to enquire how your move went by the way Evan any major hitches or was it a smooth military style operation? :)

trackend said:
Sounds a nice area Evan Im about an 1hr 10 from Duxford so Its pretty conveniant. I forgot to enquire how your move went by the way Evan any major hitches or was it a smooth military style operation? :)

Not too bad, actually. I am still unpacking and organzing, but I have been able to get most of my resource material out and begin writing again. I hired movers, so it was a little costly, but I had budgeted for it.

I have a garage full of boxes still, but just a few left in the house. But I can honestly say that this has been the best move I have ever made! The neighborhood is great, the neighbors very friendly and there are lots of other kids for my boy to play with. I am more relaxed here and my son seems more happy and mellow here than at the old place. Thanks for asking!

I'm pleased to hear that Evan it's always a worry when you have young kids as to whether they will settle into a new area usually I found it to be totally unfounded and they make new friends quicker than the adults do then start telling you who lives where and what there dads do for a living. :)
A pair of Cosairs do there thing 1.4 mins approx sorry for the wobbles

Attachments

• chance_vought_corsairs_903.wmv
    6.3 MB · Views: 99
I think I am making the clips too long so from now on i'll keep each one to around a minute or less

Attachments

• p51_part_2_102.wmv
    2.2 MB · Views: 118
  • p51_part_1_191.wmv
    4.7 MB · Views: 119
Cheers mate
I some how ended up with quite a few P51 clips Skim so I'll do it in several bits the fly past i'm saving till the end as although not very good quality its a very rare sight watching 25+ warbirds in formation I think it was 6 Spites , 4 Hurries, 7 P51's, a P40,P47,P49,Yak,Sea fury,2 Corsairs,3 Grumman cats,2 B25's and im sure a few others as well.

The wonderful Tigercat led it - it certainly was a sight to see. Every time it had to turn around the Hawk-75 came in to do aerobatics while it was turning.

i've only ever seen pictures of the mass flypasts that are a trademark of flying legends, but it's supposed to be absolutely amazing..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back