SBD against A6M3- a story of Stanley Vejtasa

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I´m very sorry to say that I got the word that Stanley Swede Vejtasa passed away yesterday in age of 98.
May he rest in peace.
Blue skies Stanley!

I haven´t found any info on this on net yet but Barrett Tillman posted this message on Facebook:

They're going fast now. We lost Swede Vejtasa yesterday (Wednesday) in Escondido, age 98 1/2. Anyone who doesn't know about him: Capt. Stanley W. Vejtasa, USN (Ret) was one of the superb aviators of his generation: flew scout-bombers at Coral Sea and fighters at Guadalcanal. He set an American record, credited with downing seven Japanese torpedo/dive bombers at the Battle of Santa Cruz in Oct 42. Postwar he helped establish Topgun (it's one word: the movie was two) and conned USS 64 Boat (aka Constellation). Just a wonderful man. As of today, 57% of the contributors to the Enterprise book have departed the pattern. those who are going to interview: DO IT NOW.

Just got the same info from Nancy Reeves, whose father also flew in VS-5 off Yorktown.

"Our dear friend patriot, CAPT Stanley Winfield "Swede" Vejtasa, USN(R), passed away yesterday (Wednesday), 23 January, in the early evening at Palomar Medical Center in Escondido, California. He was 98 1/2. We've lost a true national treasure are forever indebted to him for his lifetime of service contributions he made to the history of WWII, especially in the Pacific. I can tell you he never lost his interest in teaching what he could about the war to those who were interested, and there were hundreds that filled his mailbox with requests for information autographs. He patiently responded to every request until he was no longer able to write, and he felt bad about the last stack he was unable to answer. Up to the very end he always had a smile and a chuckle that endeared him to all who knew him. He will be sorely missed.

As his daughter so beautifully expressed, some people should never leave us, and Swede was one of those people that we all would have liked to have with us forever.
"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back