110C performances???

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

delcyros

Tech Sergeant
Mar 2, 2005
Berlin (Kreuzberg)
I have been unable to find more than a single graph for the 110C performances. Does anyone of You have a climb / level speed chart for the 110 C1, C2, C3 or C4???

Thanks in advance,
delc

Hi Delcyros,

>I have been unable to find more than a single graph for the 110C performances. Does anyone of You have a climb / level speed chart for the 110 C1, C2, C3 or C4???

If the single graph you found is from the Kennblatt for the type, here is an analysis I prepared by building on that Kennblatt graph and comparing it to the result of the British tests at the RAE.

Note that there were two variants of the DB601A-1 with different superchargers, the older version with 4.0 km full throttle height and the newer version with 4.5 km full throttle height.

The RAE Me 110 was equipped with the new-type engine while the Kennblatt was for the old-type engine.

Regarding the results, the data points from the RAE flight II match the performance I calculated for the 5 min power setting of the new-type engine very well, but the data points from flight I are outright strange. The RAE report noticed that and tried to come up with explanations for it, but in my opinion this is a simple experimental error, and their speeds from that flight are unrealistically high.

You see a calculated speed graph for the DB601N-engined Me 110C - even that one would hardly match the RAE flight I data though the DB601N engine is quite a bit more powerful than the DB601A-1 the RAE aircraft actually had.

I'm not sure if there were DB601N-engined Me 110C examples (at least in the Battle-of-Britain timescale) - originally, they were scheduled for priority conversion to the new engine, but from what I read in Mankau/Petrick's destroyer book, it looks like the conversion was stopped, and the DB601N engines went to the Me 109's of one of JG 26's groups instead.

Rather confusing topic, and there's really not very much data to be found :(

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Attachments

• Me110SpeedAnalysis.gif
    Me110SpeedAnalysis.gif
    23.2 KB · Views: 153
Thanks for that HoHun.

Something I don't understand with the various Kennblatts - is there something they don't tell us? Most seem to refer to "Combat Power" (my translation) in the various performance curves. Is there another one which they've left out for some reason?

Cheers,

mhuxt

Thanks also from my side, Hennig. I appreciate this graph and it looks consistent with what I had in mind. As always, You are a wealth of information.

HoHun answered my question in the other thread - thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back