1st combat flight for the V-1710

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fastmongrel

1st Sergeant
May 28, 2009
Lancashire
Can anyone tell me when the Allison V-1710 first flew a combat mission. I assume it was powering a P40 but Googling the P40s first missions has confused me some sources say it entered service in June 41 in the Western Desert but another Google source says the RAF and RCAF flew Army recon missions with the P40 earlier in the year over France.

According to R.S. Dann, in no. 205 in the "In Action" Series, Tomahawk I's (T-1's) were assigned to training units and army cooperation units (CAS?) flying out of England. RCAF 400 squadron, presumably based in England, flew oner 300 sorties in the type and suffered the loss of 4 A/C, although its not clear whether these losses were due to enemy action. AHT says the first T-I's reach England in September 1940, However, RCAF 400 Squadron history says the transition to Tomahawks began in April 1941.

Sqn Histories 400-410_P

AHT says the first shipment of Tomahawk IIB's (T-IIB's) arrives in North Africa and 1st unit to equip with the T-IIB is RAAF 3 squadron. AHT says the type sees first combat on May 14, 1941 however 3 squadron history (link below) states it was June 8 against Vichy forces in Syria. perhaps other forces saw earlier combat?

Prangs for the Memories

Users who are viewing this thread

Back