Beaufighter (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I really like Beaufighters....can't say I know alot about them, they were the Mosquito's predessor at Nightfighting...I know a few Aussies and Kiwi pilots flew them, perhaps I can ask around down here for you....

I know there were a dozen Aussie Beau's involved in the Battle of Bismarck Sea but I'm not sure how effective they really were.

the beau was basically a huge fighter/naval strike/ground strike, it was big, beefy, heavily armed and fast for what it was.....................

Yeah, they certainly had awesome firepower, and appear to have been used in most fronts throughout the War, a true 'heavy fighter-bomber'...gotta look more into them, I've really only read about their early Nightfighter role, but they had extensive Coastal Strike service, even down here in the Pacific War....

They did see a lot of use as a fighter-bomber and anti-ship aircraft in the hands of the RAAF. I don't know for sure how much success they had against the Japanese air-to-air, but they were one of the few British aircraft of the time that really had the range needed for Pacific fighting.

which is one of the things that make it unique as a fighter (ignoring the fact it's a twin).............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back