22 O.T.U. , their Wellingtons and my Uncle (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeff Hunt

1st Lieutenant
Jul 20, 2012
Guelph Ontario Canada
Christmas came early today when I was given my Uncle Clare's Observers and Air Gunners Flight Log Book. It covers his time from August 1941 when he was assigned to #9 AOS in St. John's Quebec and ends with his passing out of 22 OTU in July 1942. Along the way he flew in Ansons, Battles and Wellingtons.

I am calling on all you great aircraft detectives to help me find photos, info or whatever on the following Wellingtons.

All were based with 22 OTU at Atherstone Warwickshire, more specifically at Wellesbourne satellite field between 18June42 and 19July42.

I assume they were all Mk.1s but stand to be corrected

I can only provide the info that is in the log book.

Wellington Ser#s

1293 E
9679 T
490 A
3201 O
1616 V
9924 C
1588 P
9932 S

Again my assumption is that the aircraft number listed is the serial # of the aircraft and where a letter follows it is the individual letter of the aircraft.

Any and all help/info on 22 OTU will be much appreciated.

I will be digging myself but if you should find anything please feel free to post it in this thread.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Sadly, aircraft at OTU's didn't get much photo-coverage, but I'll have a look to see if I can find anything.
Wellsbourne Mountford is still in use today, as a civilian light aircraft field. Back in the early 1980's, there was talk of creating a British wing of the then Confederate Air Force (now Commemorative AF), and it was thought that Wellsbourne would have been the base. The nearest they got, as far as I know, was a Harvard based there.

Three 22 OTU Wellingtons in 'Combat Codes'.

Wellington 1C 4.41-12.42 DV934 LT-C

Wellington III 12.42-7.45 DF578 LT-C

Wellington X 12.42-7.45 HE498 LT-X

Only other 22 OTU aircraft listed is.

Martinet HP447 LT-R

The Miles Martinet must be in the running for the 'ugliest aircraft ever built' title :)

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
St John Quebec is Saint-Jean sur Richelieu. You know what happened there just recently Jeff.

Jeff,
I have begun to search for you and have come up with the following.
1465 Code LT-Y flown by F/Sgt John Kemp of 22 OTU on Jul 42, crashed killing all on board. The following has some pictures of the wreckage but just a pile aluminum.

06.07.1942 No. 22 O.T.U. Wellington IC R1465 LT-Y Fl/Sgt. Kemp

Account of the crash:
On a training night cross country run when the aircraft came down at 00.30 hrs on Waen Rhydd in the Brecon Beacons. The aircraft was carrying practice bombs and reconnaissance flares at the time.
It is thought that during heavy low cloud the pilot decided to descend from his cruising height of 10,000 ft to try and fix his position. During his descent the Wellington hit the summit of Waen Rhydd with the loss of all five Canadian crew.

9696 and 3201 crashed possibly 28/29 Jul 42
3201 crashed near Hamburg Germany.

It's easier finding their fate than pictures of them in all their glory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back