Against the odds

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Readie

Chief Master Sergeant
Apr 15, 2011
Plymouth, England
I have been reading about the Stringbag and its heroic activities in WW2.

Fairey Swordfish

http://www.vectorsite.net/avsword.html

These succinctly sum up the Swordfish's history. The phrase 'against all odds' springs to mind.

The Fleet Arm Air Swordfish appeared regularly at the Plymouth Airshow and Navy days in the 1970's but, as time has gone on we see less of this gallant plane in the air.

BBC - WWII Swordfish plane flies again over Somerset

Cheers
John

Last edited:
When we talk about (not only) FAA, the crews must be taken into accounts, along with tactics strategy of usage.
Swordfishes were rarely encountering the fighter CAP, or AAA (Bismarck as exception?), while operating mostly during the night.

The Swordfish was a beautiful aircraft. Like many others, outdated and outmatched. As tommo said you need to take into account other factors such as crew tactics. To my mind the courage of the men, the adaptability of the strategists tactictions and the ability to 'make do' were the reason the allies (namely England her Commonwealth) were able to stand fast begin to counter attack (as you stated 'against all odds'). Once the U.S. joined in it was game over - too big, too strong.
Would love to see a flyby.

Thanks for posting,
David.

The Swordfish was a beautiful aircraft. Like many others, outdated and outmatched. As tommo said you need to take into account other factors such as crew tactics. To my mind the courage of the men, the adaptability of the strategists tactictions and the ability to 'make do' were the reason the allies (namely England her Commonwealth) were able to stand fast begin to counter attack (as you stated 'against all odds'). Once the U.S. joined in it was game over - too big, too strong.
Would love to see a flyby.

Thanks for posting,
David.

On the money there David. The Swordfish is quintessentially English. There is one flying example left in the UK (maybe even the world) and that is at the Fleet Air Arm Museum in Yeovil.
Worth a vist if you come here.
Cheers
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back