What Aircraft Have You Helped Restore/Maintain? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SamPZLP.7

Airman
Feb 2, 2012
Fargo,ND,USA
What WWII aircraft have you helped or have restored/maintained? I have helped restore a Vultee BT-13 (In progress, tail section), a North American B-25J (Wings, in progress) and have worked on an A6M2 Zero (landing gear). Sorry if this is a re-post.
10590415_1514872998785320_8266992521616195709_n.jpg

40.jpg

Depends on what you mean by restore/maintain. I was working in the office, doing certification/preparation work, so most of the 'work' I've done has been paperwork based.

As far as WW2 types go:
Ryan ST-M
Harvards (AT-6)
P-40
La-9
PT-17
Fw-190 (late build, so not really a WW2 aircraft)

There are probably some others, but those are what come to mind

So far this year, I have got my hands dirty working on an airframe inspection and '50 hour' on a Merlin bolted to a P-51C, I've helped with an engine change and routine maintenance a a B-24J...in all weathers !, and I've done more work on my '51 Project.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

NICE!! Witchcraft came to the Fargo Air Museum last summer along with Betty Jane and Nine o Nine, and I got the lucky opportunity to fly on Witchcraft to its next destination.

Wish I OWNED a cub.

As a one time volunteer at the Cradle of Aviation Museum I helped work on the earliest surviving fighter jet built on Long Island, a Republic F-84 A Thunderjet. IIRC it was rescued from China Lake weapon range and had huge hole in the side of the fuselage from a bomb hit that broke and bent the cast engine mount. What a job heating and bending that back into shape. I still can't believe they did it. Admittedly my contribution was minimal and amounted to vacuuming out a desert of sand, brush and bugs from the cockpit, cutting away met from the hole with my Dad's Sawzall and reproducing one of the wing tips out of Styrofoam and coating it with enough coats of varnish to have it referred to as my "pride joy" by the old timers. Oh and I brought one of the tires to the police garage to have them remount a tire. Good times.

And now, proof!

COA Voluteer Proof.jpg

Last edited:
So far this year, I have got my hands dirty working on an airframe inspection and '50 hour' on a Merlin bolted to a P-51C, I've helped with an engine change and routine maintenance a a B-24J...in all weathers !, and I've done more work on my '51 Project.

View attachment 277168
View attachment 277167
View attachment 277166
View attachment 277170

Which P-51C is that?

I would love to work on sone WW2 aircraft.

I am an A&P and work on aircraft, but nothing cool like a warbird. (UH-60's, King Airs, Phenoms, Hawkers, Challengers, etc).

WW2 aircraft - PBY, C-47

Pre war - Pitcairn Autogyro

Post war - T-33, MiG-15UTI, F-86, MiG-17, MiG-21 Jet Provost T-28 T-33, and of course L29 and L39

Nothing mechanical.............. but got to do nose art and lettering on

P-51D Merlin's Magic, #22, Mickey as Merlin for Stu Eberhardt
T-6 Screemin Deemin, Tasmanian devil, same owner as above.
P-51-d for Russ Francis, 49er #81 tight end! Bernie's Bo / Jolley Roger
Long Easy striping
Names on Christan Eagles (3) Al Kanab used to teach me aerobatics, well some. Helped me a lot with unusual attides when I was taking lessons in a 150-D Cessna.
Pitts, two ofem, Tahoe Aces, for Bob Oliver.
Pitts for John Piggott and he took me for the ride of my life, wahoo.
Tiger cat for John Crocker
P-51 Somethin Else, #6, for Crocker
DC-3, US Marines and stars and bars, private owner
Fouga Majisters, (2) the only ones that thought I had as much money as them did!!!! If you get my drift.
Mig 15 two seater, Chinese insignias, also owned one of the Fougas!!!!! Same result!

I never got to actually work on anything as cool as any aircraft you guys have mentioned...however, as a kid, I was "volunteered" to clean various aircraft (and help with "fetching" things).

Some of the warbirds were a Bf109E, F4U, B-17F, P-51D, L-5 (Stinson) and if memory serves me right, a C-45 (Beech 18) plus various other military and civil aircraft.

As a kid, I learned early on, not to stand around with my hands in my pockets...

So far, I have help on a Northrop N9M-B Flying Wing, Hispano Ha-1112, Bell YP-59A Airacomet (primary project for 7 years), Aichi D3A Val, Yokosuka D4Y Judy (static but can taxi), Canadair F-86 Sabre corresponding to a US F-86E, Mitsubishi A6M-5 Model 52 Zero, and now am "sharing" my volunteer effort on a B-17, North American O-47, and the YP-59A as they need things done.

Mostly O-47 and B-17 right now.

Here's the cockpit of the N9M-B:

N9MB_Cockpit_1.jpg

Here's the interior of the A6M5 Model 52:

IMG_0631.JPG

Here's the YP-59A panel before we took it apart for update.

P59_Panel_1.jpg

Lots more, but big files, so enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back