aircraft minimum take off distance

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I know, I know. Jeez....

Either way, as soon as that cat starts moving, he's at decision speed. (And I know that's not a perfect definition of V1)

I missed the "V1" thing. You are correct, decision speed is not important.

Once you are attached to the catapult, a fling is not far removed from your immediate future. And it isn't the kind of fling most young men try to find at a bar in the evenings.

I once saw a film clip of an attempted launch, but the launch officer got his timing wrong and they threw the poor thing right into a wave. See below.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZRMpxUniOw

My bet is the crew in the cockpit of the S2 weren't feeling sympathetic towards the soul of the launch officer as they went off the end of the deck.

Last edited:
I'd never considered that they needed to take that sort of thing into account. I guess they had a few 'quiet words' with the launch officer when they returned!

Yah. The launch officer was supposed to time it so the aircraft left the deck when the bow was near the top of the rise and had not started back down yet.

This fellow definitely missed it ... but it's also possible the steam pressure was slow in rising and the fragible link just didn't separate in the timeframe expected.

They hook the launch trolley onto the plane with a metal "dogbone" that is supposed to break at a predetermined force level. If the steam pressure doesn't build in about the time expected, the link can break after a rather lengthy delay. "Lengthy" can mean backwards tining for the launch. In this case, either the launch officer made a serious error or the pressure was slow building, I don't know which. You can bet your botton dollar the Navy knows, though. This isn't the kind of thing the Navy lets go uninvestigated.

It is possible some member in here knows, too.

And I'll bet there was some major work required to return the aircraft to service, after going through that much water. I'm kind of surprised that it stayed airborne.

i'd think so too...a lot of inspections of various components at the very least. bet the pilots pants were a complete write off....mine would have been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back