Number of aircraft in a squadron? (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hkishel

Recruit
Feb 26, 2007
If this has been answered a hundred times already I am sorry for asking again. I tried to search for it but was unable to find what I am looking for.

I would like to find the number of aircraft that would be found in a squadron during WWII. I am interested in all the nations that fought during the war.

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys.

If any one knows of websites were I could find more info that would be great too.

for the German side check this.....

High Command of the Luftwaffe

"The Gruppe (Group) was led by a Gruppenkommandeur or Kommandeur, an executive post held by an aircrew member whose rank could vary considerably - normally it was a Major in the case of bomber units and a Hauptmann in fighter units. He had his own operational and administrative Gruppenstab (Staff), and flew combat operations with his Stabsschwarm (Staff Flight) usually of 3 to 4 aircraft. Under his command there were three, or sometimes four, Staffeln (Squadrons) led by a Staffelkapitän, an executive post that could be held by any aircrew officer from Leutnant to Hauptmann. In the temporary absence of the Staffelkapitän, the unit was led by a Staffelführer. For tactical operations, the Staffel was split into Schwarm (Section of four aircraft) or Rotte (pair of aircraft) in the case of fighters, fighter-bombers or close -support aircraft, or Kette (Flight of three aircraft) in the case of bombers and dive-bombers. The Staffel normally comprised between 12 and 16 aircraft, with the number of aircrew varying according to the strength; normally there were 20-25 pilots and 150 ground crew in the case of single-engined fighter units and 80 groundcrew in the case of twin-engined fighter units. Thus, a Gruppe consisted of 40-50 aircraft on establishment with around 500 ground personnel.

The Geschwader would thus have between 120-125 aircraft, in the case of a Jagdgeschwader, whereas the Kampfgeschwader had about 80-90 on strength. In October 1943, JG 2 and JG 26 became the first Geschwaders to increase the strength of their Gruppen from three to four Staffeln, thus raising the establishment to about 160 aircraft."

This was mostly a paper number as the war ground on. Unservicable planes marked as servicable, lack of equipment and pilots, etc., all contributed to many groups not having full strength in reality.

An air group of carrier based USN AC during the Guadalcanal campaign consisted of four squadrons. The fighting squadron, VF, comprised 27 F4F4s, the bombing squadrons, VS and VB, each had 18 SBD3s, and the torpedo squadron VT, had 18 TBF1s. You guys always seem to want to neglect the airdales. LOL

Note: USN Pacific Fleet units only; dates are approximate; not all carriers carried these exact compliments, esp. early in the war and due to combat losses. CAG birds not listed. Errors are due to my memory (or lack thereof).

For fleet carrier air groups (CVGs; this is mostly from memory, but I think it's right) authorized strength was:

December 1941 to April 1942:

VF - 18 (I found one document that indicates this was supposed to be increased to 27 starting 10/1/41, but no unit had this strength until early 1942 due to limited aircraft production)
VB - 18
VS - 18
VT - 18 (usually carried less)

April 1942 to June 1942 (including Midway):

VF - 27 (but not all squadrons reached this strength due to squadron composition deployment, see VF-2 VF-42 at Coral Sea)
VB - 18
VS - 18
VT - 18 (usually 12-15)

July 1942 to March 1943:

VF - 36 (note: USS Wasp carried only ~30 VF)
VB - 18
VS - 18 (note: USS Wasp had two VS and no VB)
VT - 18 (usually 12-16)

March 1943 to July 1943:

VF - 36
2xVB - 18 each (VS were redesignated VB ~ 3/1/1943)
VT - 18

July 1943 to September 1944:

VF - 36 (could increase to over 40)
VF(N) - 4 (from ~January 1944 on)
VB - 36 (2xVBs combined into one unit; could decrease to ~30)
VT - 18

September 1944 to December 1944:

VF - 49 + VF(N) - 4
VB - 25
VT - 18

From December 1944 to August 1945, there was much variation in response to kamikazes:

(CV-9 [12/44-3/45], CV-18 [1/45-3/45]):

VF - 50 + VF(N) - 4 (though this might have gone as high as 64, I just don't remember for sure right now)
VT - 15
2xVMF - 18

(CV-13 [3/45], CV-17 [2/45-5/45] CV-20 [2/45-6-45]):

VF - 36 (includes VF(N))
VB - 15
VT - 15
2xVMF -18

Others:
VF - 69 + VF(N) - 4
VB - 15
VT - 15

Still others:

VF - 36 (includes VF(N))
VBF - 36
VB - 15
VT - 15

For the invasion of Japan, CVGs were to go be composed as (none saw action with this composition):

VF - 32 (includes 4 - VF(N) 4 VF(P))
VBF - 24
VB - 24
VT - 20

For USN Night Carrier Air Groups (though CVG(N)-53 differed by including a VF):

VF(N) - 37
VT(N) - 18

For USN Light Fleet Carrier Air Groups (CVLGs):

August 1943 to August 1945:

VF - 24
VT - 9

CVLG(N)-41 (8/44-1/45):
VF(N) - 19
VT(N) - 8

For the invasion of Japan (none saw combat with this composition):

VF - 36

Let me know if help is needed deciphering anything.

As a small nation with a small air force the strength of a Finnish squadron varied a lot. A Brewster squadron Le.Lv.24 had +40 planes in Summer 1941 but an other fighter squadron Le.Lv.30 had only few captured Polikarpov I-153s and Fokkers.

So no one can't write down an accurate number without knowing the unit and time.

WW2 R.A.F. Squadrons generally consisted of 12 aircraft available, although there were operational variations. Depending on role, the squadron would be made up of 'A' Flight and 'B' Flight, each of 6 operational aircraft. On fighter squadrons, the Flights were sub-divided into sections, eg, Red Section, Blue Section, etc, of 2-3 aircaft, again depending on operational requirements.
The actual STRENGTH of a Squadron could, however, be 18 aircraft, allowing for reserves, 'spare' A/C, and aircraft temporarily unserviceable. In some units later in the war, operational strength could be up to 18 A/C, although this was not the norm.

WW2 R.A.F. Squadrons generally consisted of 12 aircraft available, although there were operational variations. Depending on role, the squadron would be made up of 'A' Flight and 'B' Flight, each of 6 operational aircraft. On fighter squadrons, the Flights were sub-divided into sections, eg, Red Section, Blue Section, etc, of 2-3 aircaft, again depending on operational requirements.
The actual STRENGTH of a Squadron could, however, be 18 aircraft, allowing for reserves, 'spare' A/C, and aircraft temporarily unserviceable. In some units later in the war, operational strength could be up to 18 A/C, although this was not the norm.

Thanks very much Airframes! 8)

I noticed on the (always-reliable :rolleyes: ) Wiki that they have most fighter squadrons of the 1942 Desert AF with 16 or 18 aircraft, would that probably mean 12 operation aircraft and 18 total? (ie - including spares unservicable)

wiki said:
Western Desert Air ForceOn 27 October 1942, the Western Desert Air Force (WDAF) was organized as shown below:[7]

Subordinated to General Headquarters RAF Middle East (GHQ RAF Middle East)

No. 3 South African Air Force (SAAF) Bomber Wing
No. 12 Squadron SAAF (24 × Martin Marylands)
No. 21 Squadron SAAF (24 × Martin Baltimores I,II III)
No. 24 Squadron SAAF (24 × Douglas Boston III)
No. 232 Bomber Wing
No. 55 Squadron RAF (24 × Baltimores I,II III)
No. 223 Squadron RAF (24 × Baltimores I,II III)
82nd Bombardment Squadron USAAF (12 × Mitchell B-25C)
83rd Bombardment Squadron USAAF (12 × Mitchell B-25C)
434th Bombardment Squadron USAAF (12 × Mitchell B-25C)
No. 285 Reconnaissance Wing
No. 2 PRU Squadron RAF (Photo Reconnaissance) (Spitfire VB)
No. 40 Squadron SAAF (Tactical Reconnaissance) (18 × Hurricane I/II/A/B)
No. 60 Survey Squadron SAAF (Photo Reconnaissance) (12 × Marylands)
No. 208 Squadron RAF (Tactical Reconnaissance) (18 × Hurricane IIA/B)
No. 1437 Flight RAF (Strategic Reconnaissance) (8 × Baltimores I/II/III)
No. 211 Group
No. 7 Squadron SAAF (anti-tank) (16 × Hurricane IID)
No. 6 Squadron RAF (anti-tank) (16 × Hurricane IID)
64th Fighter Squadron USAAF (25 × P-40F Warhawks)
65th Fighter Squadron USAAF (25 × P-40F Warhawks)
No. 233 Wing
No. 2 Squadron SAAF (16 × Kittyhawks I, II III)
No. 4 Squadron SAAF (16 × Kittyhawks I, II III)
No. 5 Squadron SAAF (16 × Tomahawks)
No. 260 Squadron RAF (16 × Kittyhawks I IIb)
No. 239 Wing
No. 3 Squadron SAAF (16 × Kittyhawk I/II/III)
No. 112 Squadron RAF (16 × Kittyhawk IA)
No. 250 Squadron RAF (16 × Kittyhawk IIA)
No. 450 Squadron RAAF (16 × Kittyhawk)
66th Fighter Squadron USAAF (25 × P-40F Warhawks)
No. 244 Wing
No. 145 Squadron RAF (16 × Spitfires Vb)
No. 601 Squadron RAF (16 × Spitfires Vb)
No. 73 Squadron RAF (16 × Hurricane IIc)
No. 92 Squadron RAF (16 × Spitfires Vb/c)
No. 212 Group
No. 243 Wing
No. 1 Squadron SAAF (16 × Hurricane IIc)
No. 35 Squadron RAF (16 × Hurricane IIc)
No. 213 Squadron RAF (16 × Hurricane IIc)
No. 238 Squadron RAF (16 × Hurricane IIc)
No. 7 Wing
No. 80 Squadron RAF (16 × Hurricane IIc)
No. 127 Squadron RAF (16 × Hurricane IIb)
No. 335 (Greek) Squadron RAF (16 × Hurricane IIb)
No. 274 Squadron RAF (16 × Hurricane IIb)

If this has been answered a hundred times already I am sorry for asking again. I tried to search for it but was unable to find what I am looking for.

I would like to find the number of aircraft that would be found in a squadron during WWII. I am interested in all the nations that fought during the war.

Thanks
Hi
The British OH 'The Strategic Air Offensive Against Germany 1939-1945 Volume IV Annexes & Appendices' by Webster and Frankland, has ORBATs for Bomber Command in 1943 and 1945, part of them below:
WW2Parks020.jpg

WW2Parks021.jpg

A reprint of another official document AP 3231 'Airborne Forces' has the ORBAT for RAF 38 Group just prior to D-Day showing the strength of squadrons:
WW2Parks022.jpg

This shows that there is a variable number of aircraft on squadrons which can depend on period of war, role and type of aircraft etc. It can appear that squadrons could get 'larger' as the war progressed, this also happened during WW1.
I hope that is of use.

Mike

In Bomber Command, as the war went on and more aircraft became available, many squadrons expanded and formed a third flight, C flight. Then from late 1943 many of these C flights were spun out to form the basis of new squadrons. So squadrons could grow and then shrink.

So for example 103 squadron C flight was used to form 576 squadron on 25 Nov 1943 at the same airfield. 576 then moved to Fiskerton in Oct 1944.

B-29 squadrons in XX AF, USAAF, were based around a strength of 15 aircraft.

The Fleet Air Arm front line squadrons could be even more variable depending on role, aircraft and aircrew availability, the period of the war and the carrier they were flying from. They could range anywhere from 6 to 24. Squadrons generally grew in size as the war went on. In 1944 the Barracuda torpedo bomber wings of two squadrons on each fleet carrier, generally of 12 & 9 aircraft respectively, were firstly amalgamated into a single squadron. That squadron then re-equipped with Avengers and downsized to around 15 to allow expansion of the fighter squadrons.

But there was one major exception in the FAA. 836 squadron was responsible for the Swordfish flights on the 17 British manned MAC ships, each of 3-4 aircraft. Along with 860, controlling the flights on two Dutch manned MACs, at one point there were 83 aircraft in the pool of aircraft for these squadrons.

Normally, in WWII:

RAF: 12

USAAF: 18

Any unit on Guadalcanal in 42 and early 43, maybe 4 on a good day. VT-8 was down to one at one point and they had to build that one out of wrecks; it had a lot of extra dihedral in one wing.

And note that the B-29's in the Pacific were often flown by two different crews, even if one crew was "assigned" to a particular serial number aircraft and had their chosen name painted on the nose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back