Airplane that made the most aces (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mike siggins

Airman
Oct 29, 2009
norfolk va
wich allied plane made the most aces im preety sure the me 109 was it for the axis does anybody have the breakdown for how many aces were made in the p40 p39 spit etc

51 wasnt around long enough. they did make a big dent and some groups had high number of aces but i would probably have to go with the spits and 109s. but i have no number to support this just my warped logic.

I guess it is either the P-51 or Spitfire.

Though a reference I have says that the Hurricane shot down more aircraft than any other allied plane, and more than all the other British planes together. So maybe that one.

Yakovlev Yak-1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
world's only female aces: Katya Budanova, with 11, and Lydia Litvyak (11 plus three shared).

litvak1.jpg

8)

I would go 109 -then toss up between Spit and Mustang for Allies. Spit around longer but P-51 destroyed a LOT of a/c in 17 months in ETO

Last edited:
F6F in the pacific (19-1 kill ratio) P-38 if you count both the pacific and european theatre , and the Spitfire/ P-47 in the European theatre. I don't know exact numbers, but based on everything I've read these were the allies' biggest ace makers, some runners up would be the Mustang, the P-40 Warhawk, maybe the F4F, the Hurricane, the F4U Corsair, the Yak-3, and the Tempest. Again, I don't have any documentation of these, but they were all great dogfighters, and were flown in large enough numbers to make a significant number of aces.

No way.

Tempest was a great aircraft but it was deployed to European continent too late and in too few numbers to make many aces.

The Mustang killed 4200 to 2600 P-47 air victory credits for ETO (8th and 9th AF combined).. seek documentation.

The rankings of WWII air victory credits: P-51, F6F, P-47, P-38

i just started looking and found ~ 275 mustang aces (<<< not from a book but websites..sorry... not sure if that counts RAF pilots or not..or if there was an RAF pony ace ). if i have time i will look at other ac tomorrow

For the P-40 I think 40 aces to claim five or more kills between 1942-45 in the PTO only a handful in the ETO/MTO.

i just started looking and found ~ 275 mustang aces (<<< not from a book but websites..sorry... not sure if that counts RAF pilots or not..or if there was an RAF pony ace ). if i have time i will look at other ac tomorrow

But how many gained their 'ace' status only on the 51? Lot of pilots started on 38s or 47s and then transitioned onto the 'stang.

I just went through "Aces High" by Chris Shores and Clive Williams and came up with ~520 Spitfire aces. My criterion was any pilot who achieved at least 5 of their victories flying Spits (they may have had additional claims while flying other aircraft types). There were a whole host of other aces who scored less than 5 victories on Spitfires but had also obtained kills flying other aircraft - those aces were not included in my total. Also note I only went through Vol I of "Aces High" and did not check through the corrections in Vol II, nor did I include "Diver" aces.

But how many gained their 'ace' status only on the 51? Lot of pilots started on 38s or 47s and then transitioned onto the 'stang.

i was thinking of that later on. many FGs converted to the 51 after having flown ( and some becoming aces in the 47s, etc ). gentile and godfrey iirc were already aces when they got their ponies....but some got 5 "V"s with the 51 as well. the 51 came on hot and heavy with stats like most LW ac shoot down by a FG ( US ) ...and largest # of LW ac....but the relative short duration it actually served i believe keeps it from being the biggest ace maker. i will keep looking but info isnt easy to find on this...and as with the 51 aces...the number doesnt reflect the complete story.

After doing some digging the Corsair seems to have been the Navy's primary ace maker in the Pacific, which is odd as I kind of expected the Hellcat. As for the war against Germany I would say either the Spitfire or the P-47, because they were around for a while, and were also great. While i haven't found a ton of info on how many aces the plane made, I'd bet the P-40 had quite a lot of aces in the Pacific and the MTO, maybe not the European Theatre though.

I found some varied P-40 related articles saying there were anywhere between 30-100 Warhawk aces in the Pacific, not sure about MTO or ETO yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back