Alternative German Fighters: Me-209, Me-309, He-100, etc. (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Smokey said:
fw187-14.jpg

german heavy fighter Focke-Wulf Fw187 (pre-WW2)

http://mitglied.lycos.de/lastdingo/

It seems Goering's bias towards Messerschmitt led to a massive reduction in the Luftwaffe's ability, particularly over long range; the Fw187 had a range of 3000 miles
Also;
1) according to one pilot its turning circle was similar to the me109 and its roll rate almost as good as the me109

2) it climb rate was superior

3) and it had better armament

It was a very fine fighter indeed.
Even with the less powerful Jumos it performed very well.

At list 2 of the 0-series went to Norway in support to the bf-110s and one was equipped experimentally with the MK-101 mm canon.

c6.jpg

An history about this plane is that one of them was flown briefly by a Focke-Wulf engineer, and he manage to shoot down some russian planes. ... :shock:

I thought that this was particularly interesting;

the program continued, and Focke-Wulf got two 1.000PS DB 600 engines for the sixth prototype (Fw 187V6), which reached a speed of 636km/h (60-120km/h more than the fighters of the Battle of Britain reached in 1940 with 1050 to 1330PS engines).
http://mitglied.lycos.de/lastdingo/

fw187-1.jpg

Add that to the better climb rate and the allegedly me109-equalling turning circle, plus (allegedly) a roll rate almost as good as the me109, and two 20mm MG FF, two 7,92mm MG 17

Goering and Hitler would still have fubar'ed the BoB, but it would have been alot more nasty

I saw this aircraft in wikipedia, not my favorite source for facts but interesting nevertheless:

"Despite an RLM requirement that the Fw 187 use Junkers Jumo 210 engines instead of the planned BMW 600, the performance of the Fw 187 was generally superior to that of the Bf 110. In fact, it was 50 mph (80 km/h) faster than the contemporary Messerschmitt Bf 109B, despite having twice the range, more than twice the weight, and using two of the 109's engines. The Fw 187's climb and dive rates were also on par if not superior to the nimble single-seater. German authorities, however, relied heavily on the Messerschmitt products, and the Fw 187 never entered service. With the Fw 187 they could have had a successful long-range fighter in the Battle of Britain, which would have made an impact on the relative losses of the clashing air forces."

I agree wikipedia is not my favorite source for facts but it is usually a quick source when you are trying to get something real fast. That is why I use it a lot here when I am online posting.

The luft 46 website had introduce some nice art about the Messerschmitt Projekt P.1091. "Extremer Höhenjäger" ( extreme altitude fighter)teorically this plane would be motorized by a 1650 hp DB-603U with a large turbocharger, teorical ceiling 17.000 metres, armament 2 x 30 mm.

ro091-3.jpg

ro091-1.jpg

The FW-187 and the He-100 or even the He-112 would have been a good plane to continue with as side developments just in case the Me-109 and the Me-110 failed. Why didn't Germany have the sight to develop more than one aircraft at a time?

book1182 said:
The FW-187 and the He-100 or even the He-112 would have been a good plane to continue with as side developments just in case the Me-109 and the Me-110 failed. Why didn't Germany have the sight to develop more than one aircraft at a time?

They did. Many companies worked on the a project under the same guidance and request. When the Bf-109 was under development Focke Wulf, Heinkel, Arado, and Junkers were working on designs for the fighter request. The Bf-109 just happened to win.

If you war talking about develop more than one fighter at a time they did: Bf-109, Fw-190, Ta-152. Just because an aircraft first flew in 1944 does not mean the project begin in 1944. Most projects start about 1 to 2 years before the first flight date.

The Bf-109 and Fw-190 were not the only fighter projects. The Germans had litterally 100s of projects going on at a time. Very few cut it though.

and towards the end of the war even i could design more pheasable planes than some of them (now if only i could spell it :lol: ) don't get me wrong i knew germany had some amazing designers but you have to admit some of their designs wouldn't be pheasable........

However, the people designing the planes werent stupid and they would have bothered desiging them if they didnt think they would work...

Nice CGI up there, they look menacing...kinda like a large bird of prey...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back