Aug 29, 1944- 66th anniversary commemoration of the air battle

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

seesul

Senior Master Sergeant
Hello,

few days ago we commemorated the 66th anniversary of the air battle over White Carpathian mountains.

89 German fighters attacked lonely 20th Sqdn of the 2nd BG with two more laggers and shot them all down in 20 minutes. 8 of them crashed 5 to 40 miles away from my born town of Slavicin and one crashed landed in Hungary.
41 airmen were killed and 28 from them buried in a mass grave in my born town.
1 airman was saved by Czech family that was hidding him at their home at their great risk till the end of the war.
3 airmen escaped to Slovakia (all the crash sites were along the Czech/Slovak border) and were later evacuated from Banska Bystrica airport by 2 B-17s during the OSS secret mission on Sept 17, 1944.
All the rest (45 airmen) spent the rest of the war in POW camps.

Every year the citizens of some towns or villages commemorate the sacrifice of those young flyboys. Sometime with the survivors of the battle or their relatives, sometimes without them.

Perhaps last year we had 12 US visitors but no veteran...all of them relatives.

This year we had a very rare visit- one of the survivors, Mr Loy Dickinson from Denver, CO. Loy was aboard of B-17G, ser No. 42-97159, as a navigator. After he was shot down, one young guy named Mojmir Baca in age of 19 (the same age as Loy) found Loy in the woods and brought him home. The next morning this family was warned by a friendly policeman that someone knows that they have an American in their house. After that Loy decided to give up to Germans and went with Mojmir to the closest police station and spent the rest of the war at Stalag Luft I. Before he surrendered he gave his postal address to Baca family. After the war, in 1945, Loy sent his first letter to Mojmir Baca. They stayed in touch and Mojmir visited Loy in 1978 and Loy visited Mojmir 5 times. 66 years of friendship...

Loy´s 5th visit meant his attendance at 66th anniversary commemoration. Enjoy the pics, I´m only sorry for the pics quality, I´m not a good photografer.

P.S. Airframes and Rochie attended our last year´s commemoration so they will recognize some places. Sorry Terry, no pictures taken at Talafa pub this time...8)

Last edited:
Baca´s born house at Rudimov. Loy spent his first night in Czechoslovakia in this house. All onthis pictures are Loy´s family members.
From L-R: Carol Dickinson (Loy´s daughter), Loy Dickinson, Mojmir Baca, Bruce Dickinson (Loy´s son), Yumiko Dickinson (Bruce´s wife), Kelly Dickinson (Bruce´s son). The kids at the left are also kids of Bruce Dickinson, their names are Tai and Misako.

Attachments

• pic 003.jpg
    pic 003.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 184
This is the house in Preckovice in which Loy´s right waist gunner Joe Sallings, Lutrell, Tenesse, was hidden by a Czech family till the end of the war. He even didn´t want to go home when the war was over.

Attachments

• pic 007.jpg
    pic 007.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 175
Commemoration in Rudice. 2 crew members, bombardier Russell W. Meyrick and ball turret gunner Joe Mariello were buried here.

Attachments

• pic 027.jpg
    pic 027.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 186
  • pic 031.jpg
    pic 031.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 184
  • pic 061.jpg
    pic 061.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 184
  • pic 067.jpg
    pic 067.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 185
  • pic 078.jpg
    pic 078.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 187
Sanov. Crash site of B-17G, 42-38096. Only one survivor who escaped to Slovakia and was picked up by B-17 during an OSS secret mission.
At the crash site and in the museum.

Attachments

• pic 154.jpg
    pic 154.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 176
  • pic 145.jpg
    pic 145.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 187
  • pic 141.jpg
    pic 141.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 181
  • pic 139.jpg
    pic 139.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 172
  • pic 135.jpg
    pic 135.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 185
Krhov. Crash site of B-17G 42-32048. Only one survivor who became POW.

Attachments

• pic 204.jpg
    pic 204.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 178
  • pic 202.jpg
    pic 202.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 179
  • pic 198.jpg
    pic 198.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 183
  • pic 173.jpg
    pic 173.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 179
Great stuff Roman. Seeing the pics brought back happy memories of my visit last year, so I can only guess at the emotions felt by Loy. Good to see my Czech Para friends were there again too.
BTW, I've been trying to send you a PM for the last 2 or 3 days without success. Is your message box full?
It was only a quick question regarding the models for the museum, so I'll send you an e-mail later this week - nothing urgent.

Thanks Roman. Having seen the pics again, I just have to get there again next year, no matter how hard it is to walk !!
Do they need a full-time assistant at the museum?! I wan't to move to Slavicin, I'm fed up with my country !!!

I concur Terry!! Andrew and Cas could live there as well.

Roman- I think Andrew is trying to figure out a way to spend the summer after graduation over there.

My plan is to also be there next year. Just have to see how the dates fall as i have a fall reunion in Switerland as well- I'm hoping they piggyback each other so I can split the week between Rudice and Berne.

Hope to meet up with you again next year Kelly. We need to keep in touch, as I'm determined to get there next year, hopefully at the time of the commemoration, but whenever I can if not at that time.
I really would like to move there, as I think it's such a nice place, and a better overall climate for my 'condition'.
You're right Roman - a dream job ! The museum, the Talafa pub across the road, a nice restaurant in the park, the forests and hills, and what else .... oh yes, the girls !!

I concur Terry!! Andrew and Cas could live there as well.

Roman- I think Andrew is trying to figure out a way to spend the summer after graduation over there.

My plan is to also be there next year. Just have to see how the dates fall as i have a fall reunion in Switerland as well- I'm hoping they piggyback each other so I can split the week between Rudice and Berne.

Welcome Kelly.
As for Andrew- it means in how many years? No prob at all. He can live in our apartment in Zlin and we would find an accomodation for him in Slavicin as well. Some pubs are open 24-7:twisted:
As for you- just let me know as soon as you know the date.

Las Vegas ? Blackpool with sun, but no sea?!! Haven't really thought about it Kelly. It's only in the last year or so, and especially the way things here in the UK are starting to hack me off, that I've even toyed with the idea of living elsewhere. I doubt it'll happen though, due to my circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back