B-17's that took a beating

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

oh, hehe, I'm sorry. I thought it was another spammer. (I didn't know your name was roman) my apologies ^^;

not to sound too terse.... but which of my cousins are you?? :)

you can PM me if you don't want it posted here.

Thanks.

((I ask because a couple of years ago, someone claiming to be Russell's nephew contacted Roman, however we have no one in the family by that name. Just keeping family stuff legit.))

Kelly

Last edited:
not to sound too terse.... but which of my cousins are you?? :)

you can PM me if you don't want it posted here.

Thanks.

((I ask because a couple of years ago, someone claiming to be Russell's nephew contacted Roman, however we have no one in the family by that name. Just keeping family stuff legit.))

Kelly

In 2007 I got pics of Russell Meyrick and Joe Marinello from one Czech historian. I sent them to Loy Dickinson (who was a navigator on the plane that went down with Russell). Loy sent these pics to his friends and after few weeks I got an e-mail from someone who thanked me for this pic and said Russell was his great uncle.
I had another e-mail box back then that doesn´t exist anymore so I can´t tell now who was it. Maybe it was you...who knows...
If you want, my e-mail address is roman.susil*at*gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya, Roman. You sent me that information a while back and you had spoken to Russell's sister. She mentioned that person to my dad, and you mentioned him to me, and neither me, my dad, nor my great aunt know who that person is.

For us it's fairly easy to verify family. Russell's sister is a great family historian and Russell had only 3 siblings and only 2 of those had children -- for a total of 10 nieces and nephews. We know everyone. We may have lost touch with each other over the years, but most of us knew each other as kids. And I"m the oldest of all of Russell's 17 (Or 18 I think I'm forgetting someone) great nieces and nephews. :)

I hope Chatterbox replies- there are a few cousins I haven't talked to in years since we've all grown up and moved away for college and jobs. I'd love to get back in touch them. I hear about them from my mom or dad, but it would be great to establish personal contact again.

I may have a copy of it at my home account (i'm at work- shhhhhhhhh)

My aunt is sending copies of photos of Russell to my dad so we'll have some to bring with us for you.

I can't wait to take the photos myself.

Oh- are any of those photos of the exhumation from Rudice? Or are they all from the mass grave in Slavicin?

Kelly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shock:
I was smart enough and sent a copy of my answer to Russell´s nephew to my actual e-mail account back then. Unfortunately I don´t have a copy of his e-mail, anyway, does the name George Cole sound familiar to you???????
If you want I can send you his e-mail address via e-mail...

yup- that's the name you gave me. Although we don't have a George Cole. I don't have a great uncle George, an uncle George or a cousin George. So someone is climbing the wrong family tree. :)

Have a good night. We're finalizing our trip this week or next so I'll get you our arrival time soon.

probably he was looking around and somehow contacted Loy.

It is somewhat possible that this George is related somehow--- like through being the child of a cousin of Russell (although I know of only 1 cousin and he doesn't have a child name George). But still, being the child of a cousin doesn't make you a nephew. It makes you a cousin once removed (or twice removed depending on the generation). :)

A great uncle is the brother of your grandma or grandfather.

Chatterbox- I'm a Meyrick..........I can't stand waiting.................... I'm jingling my keys.....................

Roman- I'll email you are plans when I get home after getting Cassie from gymnastics. We're even planning our Prague time too. The kids have put in requests. I just can't wait for some great european strong coffee and pastries. Yum yum (Oh and the beer too of course!!!)

Kelly, should you have a time for visiting Prague, you´ll enjoy it. It´s a very nice city with a very old history with historical buildings, bridges and museums. But you should stay at least 3 days there.

As for beer- I´m sure you´ll like it. It has nothing to do with that American Bud...

we don't have 3 days, but I think we're planned pretty well.

We fly in on Thursday morning and will take the tour bus to Terrizin Concentration camp and maybe a museum before we get picked up for Rudice. Then we'll spend THursday night, Friday,sat, sunday morning with all the ceremonies. Then head back to Prague Sunday and do like dinner and Jazz sunday night. Then Monday do Prague Castle.... some musuems, shopping and an opera that night- then fly home Tuesday morning.

ANything else we should add in? Should we spend Thursday night in Prague and go to Rudice on Friday morning? What would work best for you guys? we're flexible and want to be able to see as much as we can when we are there, while also spending enough time in town and with everyone there- since that is the main reason for going and our main focus...........

Thanks for the story, Seesul. Parts of it I had never heard. It is wrong only in one respect, however. The ball gunner never got out of his turret until I and a couple others opened the turret and pulled him out onto the ground. In the picture you can see the ball entry door is open and lying on the ground. One can only imagine what was going through that guy's mind on the way home, not being able to talk to anybody and not being able to move the turret.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back