B-17 salvaged from New Guinea swamp unveiled in Long Beach

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
Well, what do you know. They got the plane out of Papua and finally brought her home!

B-17 salvaged from New Guinea swamp unveiled in Long Beach - The Daily Breeze

From wire service reports
Posted: 06/11/2010 01:08:31 PM PDT

More than 68 years after a B-17E Flying Fortress crash-landed in a New Guinea swamp, the salvaged aircraft, nicknamed Swamp Ghost, was unveiled today in Long Beach.

A formation flyover by a vintage P-51 Mustang and P-40 Warhawk above the Long Beach Harbor began the ceremony to unveil the recovered bomber.

The event in the parking lot of The Reef restaurant, where the plane's remarkably intact front fuselage was displayed, also included a flag presentation by the U.S. Air Force Honor Guard and remarks from recovery team members.

Unfortunately, the aircraft's last four surviving crew members died shortly before Swamp Ghost returned to the United States. The plane's return was one of bombardier Richard Oliver's last wishes. His death last year denied him the privilege of seeing his warbird come home, but his widow, Linda, attended the ceremony, along with a handful of other air crew family members.

First spotted by an Australian Air Force crew in 1972, the effort to salvage and export the plane was initiated in the mid-1980s by the late Specialty Restaurants Corp. founder, World War II veteran and antique aircraft collector David Tallichet.

"My father was a young B-17 pilot flying out of England with the Bloody 100th Bomb Group during World War II," said John Tallichet, president and CEO of Specialty Restaurants.

"He never lost his passion for aviation or love of his combat aircraft, the venerable Flying Fortress," he
Advertisement
Quantcast
said. "Sadly, my father could not be here to witness his dream fulfilled. However, my family is honored to continue his vision of preserving this invaluable relic of aviation history for the benefit of future generations."

In 1996, aircraft salvage efforts were continued by Aero Archaeology founder and aircraft recovery enthusiast Alfred Hagen, who has located seven missing World War II aircraft and returned the remains of more than a dozen missing-in-action airmen to the United States for burial with full military honors.

"Much of my work has been to honor those whom we have come to know as the Greatest Generation, and we look back on their accomplishments for inspiration," Hagen said.

Swamp Ghost will be restored, possibly to flying condition, for permanent display at an aviation history museum.

She's on loan at Planes of Fame now. All that I saw is the main fuselage to the tail gunner section.
It's going to take a lot of work to fix her. My camera was broken so no pictures..., yet.

Wheels

anyone got some pictures? / condition?
I finally thought to take some pictures when I was there on the 5th.
The entire Plane is being stored at Planes of Fame but they only have the fuselage on display.
sSwamp_Ghost_001.JPG

sSwamp_Ghost_002.JPG

sSwamp_Ghost_003.JPG

sSwamp_Ghost_004.JPG

sSwamp_Ghost_005.JPG

sSwamp_Ghost_006.JPG

sSwamp_Ghost_007.JPG

Wheels

Interesting, thing is should it be restored or kept in the condition it was found and perhaps laid out as found in a memorial to the crew?

Interesting, thing is should it be restored or kept in the condition it was found and perhaps laid out as found in a memorial to the crew?
I think that restoring an aircraft actually preserves it's lifespan, while at the same time restores the machine to "the way it was" when it was in its prime...usually the way the crew would rather remember her.

Glad you guys liked the pictures. I only wish I could have got some before they put up that darn fence. I was there before it was up but my camera wasn't working. :|

I think that restoring an aircraft actually preserves it's lifespan, while at the same time restores the machine to "the way it was" when it was in its prime...usually the way the crew would rather remember her.
No such luck on the restoration. At the moment there are no plans to restore her. Until the owner decides what to do with it it is going to be on loan to the Planes of Fame displayed just like it is now.

Wheels

Read a story about this Fort years ago in Flight magazine. Glad to hear they will restore her, and hopefully make her airworthy.

TO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back