Any B5N Kate in restoration?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jenisch

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2011
Hello,

Please, someone knows if there's any B5N Kate torpedo bomber in restoration or that could restored? I guess that there are not many Kates left, at least above the sea. In fact, I just know of one exemplar that was recovered in the Pacific territory of Russia in 2003. Don't know anything about it's current status.

PS: I'm excluding here any aircraft modified to depict a B5N such as those that fly in the US. I mean an original aircraft or replica of it.

Thanks since now for the attention,

Marcelo Jenisch

Last edited:
Here's a list from Warbirds Directory:

B5N1 NASM, Silver Hill MD 65/02
______________________________________________________________________________________
339 B5N2

flew from Kuril island chain, Soviet Far East: last ops (Aichi) against Russian landing forces 20.8.45 (abandoned in open on airfield Shumushu Island)

Daniel Kevin Hunt, Surrey UK .03/07 (derelict hulk recov. ex Shumushu island, Kuril chain: forward fuse. wing centre section) stored in barn, Sussex 03)

Wings of Rememberance Museum, Redhill: opened 3.08

Wings WWII Rememberance Museum, Balcombe, West Sussex 3.10/11 (centre section displ. unrest. in diaroma)

Take a look at the links on this page from Pacific Wrecks; it lists other B5N wrecks around the Pacific:

Pacific Wrecks - Nakajima B5N Kate Type 97 Carrier Attack Bomber

I'm bringing this thread back to life because I found an interesting thread about the subject in the J-aircraft forums, that was posted in late last year: Re: Major WW II IJN a/c roll-out Of Type 97 KanKo (B5N2 Kate) 08/15/15

A few days ago I have contacted the creator of the thread in the J-Aircraft forums, Mr. Ron Werneth, which is also a Japanese naval aviation aviation author. And he confirmed to me that there's expectation for the project to move on. Let's hope everything will proceed as planned, since an original B5N restored to static condition would be wonderful for the warbird fans community.

The plane lacks the engine and the propeller. I hope the museum manages to overcome this with original components. Although I don't know if this will be possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back