Bad news from New Zealand

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, the information Joe posted is not new and well known among warbird enthusiasts. The damage was discovered during an overhaul of the D-FWMV at meiermotors 2012 in Germany. The bird was repaired and got several modifications including a new oil cooling system. The owner now is the Luftfahrt Club Braunschweig
Regards cimmex

Frank Walker is the only Fw 190 rated pilot in the Southern hemisphere and is quite experienced, having been chairman of New Zealand Warbirds for a few years now, although he has had a mishap with the '190 in the past. Here's a thread on the aircraft in question posted two years ago:

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/warbird-displays/fw-190-classic-fighters-36610.html

Wasn't the damage to the propeller caused by a broken cooling fan, or am I thinking of another incident with a Flugwerk '190'. There's been plenty of them :)

Cheers

Steve

Yep, that's right; that was in 2011 at the same airfield. It had its official debut two years later when I took the images in the link above, but had made an appearance in the static two years earlier as a result of the mishap with the fan blades. I mention it in the link above - the fan blade shat itself and flew off and dinged the prop blades. I took a photo of it on the ground with a twisted bit of fan blade, but I can't seem to find it.

Well, the information Joe posted is not new and well known among warbird enthusiasts. The damage was discovered during an overhaul of the D-FWMV at meiermotors 2012 in Germany. The bird was repaired and got several modifications including a new oil cooling system. The owner now is the Luftfahrt Club Braunschweig
Regards cimmex

Regardless if it was new or not, it was serious enough for the LBA to send notification to the US FAA and New Zealand CAA

There's nothing relevant to this incident in those documents. The g limits for these aircraft have been reduced, and I believe that the event mentioned in these documents was the reason.

The primary cause was a failure of the R/H brake, leading to a ground-loop, and undercarriage collapse. We are still investigating what lead to the brake failure. Looking at the aircraft in the hangar, it is surprising how minor the damage looks, (superficially at least, it may get worse when it is opened up) it will fly again, and the owner has made a commitment to this.

This event is part of the reason I haven't been back since the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back