Best Fighter III (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have so many copies of those PM magazines here at home. They actually give good tips on preventive maintenace. They have a section in each magazine for all major branches of the Army from weapons mainteance to Hummers, to helicopters.

I made a bunch of my special built tools that they they recommended to make my life easier when working on my bird in the field.

Davparlr,

About the Me-262 and supersonic flight:
The Me262 and The Race to Mach1
The Story of my First Supcrsonic Flight on 9 April 1945 over Innsbruck

It seems quite certain that some pilots did go supersonic in the Me-262 - The Allies apparently hving done this after the war in th Me-262 as-well. However, it also seems rather clear that attempting to go supersonic in the Me-262 was extremely dangerous and would more likely end in distaster than not, the airframe wasn't designed to go supersonic.

Davparlr,

It seems quite certain that some pilots did go supersonic in the Me-262 - The Allies apparently hving done this after the war in th Me-262 as-well. However, it also seems rather clear that attempting to go supersonic in the Me-262 was extremely dangerous and would more likely end in distaster than not, the airframe wasn't designed to go supersonic.

I have several thoughts here. First, it would not be necessarily surprising that several non-supersonic jets exceeded the speed of sound. It is simple aerodynamics, thrust vs. drag, only drag increases significantly at high mach nos. The real problem is disruption of airflow at transonic speed and the associated control problems. Going supersonic is only a matter of adequate thrust, surviving was another issue. I suspect that there are a few aviators who died going faster than sound, and maybe a few who survived. Second, there is difficulty in accepting claims in uninstrument aircraft of exceeding the speed of sound. Most of the claims are based on two observations, first, instruments. Insturments are notably inaccurate at speeds near sound, and in general as they are typically not corrected for variables such as outside air temperature. The second is the indication of onset of control problems and then the cessation of control problems. These are the two the Me-262 pilot reported on.

At this altitude of 12.000 m (36.000 ft) the aircraft began within a few seconds to vibrate, followed closely by a very strong buffeting which caused the tail to swing from side to side and the whole aircraft to oscillate due to the pressure waves. The airspeed indicator was against the stop at 1.100 km/h (682 rnph), the aircraft was no longer controllable and was vibrating so violently that it was not possible to read the instruments. A second later there was no longer any feeling of an aircraft through the stick which stayed in whatever position it was placed. Immediately following this the aircraft was suddenly again controllable although the altitude-compensated airspeed indicator remained on the stop at 1.100 krn/h (682 mph).

He uses the report of the X-1 of similar observations for justification.

While the usual light buffet and instability characteristics were encountered in the .88-90 Mach range and elevator effectiveness was very greatly decreased at .94 Mach, stability about all three axes was good as speed increased and elevator effectiveness was regained above .97 Mach. As speed decreased after turning off the motor, the various phenomena occurred in reverse sequence at the usual speeds, and in addition, a slight longitudinal porpoising was noticed from .98-.96 Mach which (was) controllable by the elevators alone. Incidentally, the stabilizer setting was not changed from its 2 degrees nose down position after trial at .92 Mach

However, it seems here that the controllability was regained prior to achieving Mach 1,
speed increased and elevator effectiveness was regained above .97 Mach
. So using these two observations, it appears that the report on achieving Mach 1 could be discredited. He did also refer to some Air Force documentation that supported his claim. These may be valid or based on the same observations at the German pilot. Now the ones where sonic booms were heard is a different story.

So, the only thing I guess I can really say is the the X-1 was probably the first aircraft to exceed the speed of sound and be properly instrumented and recorded. Other than that, I won't agree or deny anything.

My observations on going supersonic in a modern aircraft, the T-38. First, when in mil power (non-afterburning) the plane would nose up to the speed of sound obtaining .99 Mach in level flight, just not enough thrust in mil power to overcome the extra drag. No problem with the afterburner, however. Going down hill, it would easily exceed Mach 1 in less than mil power (we would get into trouble flying loose trail and not watch our Machmeter. It was a no-no to go through the sound barrier without approval). Second, it would slip through Mach 1 without a hitch. The only way you knew you were going supersonic was a slight dip in the airspeed indicator and 1 showing on the Machmeter. In flying formation supersonically, moving out and then in on the lead, the plane would rock like boat going over a wave, which is what it was doing.

The X-1 fuselage was based on a .50 cal. machine gun bullet because they knew that it went supersonic.

In the 1950s, a guy by the name of Kittingter went 614 mph, approaching the speed of sound, when he parachuted from a balloon at 102,800ft (31,333 meters).

Classic Military Warnings

"Try to look unimportant, they may be low on ammo." Infantryman's Journal

in my opinion i strongly believe that the Me-262 was the best fighter. I dont know if the stats of the kills to losses ratio affects peoples opinions but sometimes stats dont show the full picture. For instance just because it was vulnerable in the landing and takeoff phase does it make it any less of a fighter? Of course not, as Allied aircraft were swarming in the skies. Also some bomber pilots were used (because of Hitlers obsession with using it in the bomber role) and as you can guess a bomber pilot is not as good as a fighter pilot in combat and those me-262s became easier to shoot down.

Famous Conflicts: World War Two Aircraft

Davparlr,

I forgot to say that this was interesting reading. Also, the German pilot indicated that he trimmed the horizontal stabilizer. Do you know if the Me-262 did have a trimmable horizontal stabilizer verses a trimmable elevator, which was the current typical design? That would be very interesting.

"Tracers work both ways." U.S. Army Ordinance Manual

Davparlr,

There's good reason Mutke would compare the Me-262 and X-1, remember the X-1 has straight wings while the Me-262 has swept wings and both have a tall mounted horizontal stabilizor.

Also insteresting is to note what is written in the USAAF POH for the Me-262.

The 262 was more of a bomber destroyer than a pure fighter, and was plaqued with problems and difficulties that lasted till the end of the War....

The armament bares the entire blaim, the low muzzle velocity of the rounds meant the Mk108 wasn't suited for fighter vs fighter combat - the Me-262 itself though was excellently suited for fighter vs fighter combat being capable of hairraisingly tight high speed turns, as-well as featuring featherlike control forces at high speeds.

Davparlr,

There's good reason Mutke would compare the Me-262 and X-1, remember the X-1 has straight wings while the Me-262 has swept wings and both have a tall mounted horizontal stabilizor.

Also insteresting is to note what is written in the USAAF POH for the Me-262.

The reason that Mutke compared the Me-262 to the X-1 was primarily that the X-1 was certifiably a supersonic aircraft, yet had the same control characteristics that he experienced in Me-262 when going supersonic, collaborating his claim (which, I reasoned, did not).

By the way, what is POH?

"Five second fuses only last three seconds" Infantryman's Journal

The Hawker Tempest, although slightly unreliable, is probably my favourite single engine piston engined fighter of ww2 and my reasons for this are these:
It was highly manouverable at all altitudes, very fast (up to 440 in level flight), rugged, effective in many rolesand packed a heavy punch with 4 20mm cannon + rockets or up to 2000lbs of bombs. both of these quotes are on The Hawker Tempest Page. take a look at the site

"Reaching Newchurch airfield at 480 mph I held "RB" down to 20 ft from the runway and then pulled her up to a 60 ° climb holding it as the speed dropped slowly off and the altimeter needle spun round the dial as if it were mad. At 7000 ft the speed was dropping below 180 mph and I rolled the Tempest lazily inverted, then allowed the nose to drop until the horizon, at first above my head, disappeared below (or rather above) the now inverted nose, the fields and woods steadied into the centre of the windscreen and then whirled around as I put the stick hard over and rolled around the vertical dive. Steadying again I pulled out over the tree tops at 500 mph, throttled back and pulled hard over towards the airfield in an over-the-vertical climbing turn, lowering the wheels and flaps in a roll as the speed dropped. What a magnificent aeroplane! They could have all their Spitfires and Mustangs!"
("My part of the sky", Roland Beamont)

"The Messerschmitt Me 262's most dangerous opponent was the British Hawker Tempest - extremely fast at low altitudes, highly-manoeuvrable and heavily-armed."
(Hubert Lange, Me262 pilot)

The Hawker Tempest, although slightly unreliable, is probably my favourite single engine piston engined fighter of ww2 and my reasons for this are these:
It was highly manouverable at all altitudes, very fast (up to 440 in level flight), rugged, effective in many rolesand packed a heavy punch with 4 20mm cannon + rockets or up to 2000lbs of bombs. both of these quotes are on The Hawker Tempest Page. take a look at the site

The Tempest V was similar to performance with the P-51D and bit slower than the P-51B, especially at higher altitudes (but probably better maneuverability). The quote is probably for the Tempest II, which was a superb low to medium altitudes (below 20-25k) fighter. Above that, there were better contemporary aircraft like the F4U-4, which had similar speed but much better climb at almost all levels. I'm not sure either versions could make 44k ft. They weren't really designed for it.

"Don't draw fire; it irritates the people around you." Your Buddies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back