Which was the best night fighter? (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Marlin:

Is there any book you'd recommend on G/C Cunningham? IIRC, he never published an autobiography.

Answering in lieu of marlin, if I may:

Night Fighter by C.F. Rawnsley and Robert Wright. (This was the book that started my fascination with the subject of WWII night fighting.)

Rawnsley was Cunningham's RO and Wright was a night fighter staff officer at RAF HQ.

By the way, while I would pay utmost respect to Grp Capt Cunningham's opinion, I would suggest two things.

1. He's perhaps a bit biased but had earned that right.

2. What was the experience level of the US night fighter crews he 'intercepted' compared to him?

Both the Mossie and P-61 were marvelous aircraft for their day.

Me-262B-1a. I do think the He-234 would've made an excellent night fighter as-well, but only two ever saw service.

Soren, you mean the Arado Ar 234, right?

That would have addressed the main disadvantage of the 262, endurance. (the only notable complaint about the 234 iirc was that the glazing tended to glare)

Erich, I never got a direct answer on this: What was the armament arrangement on the NF Me 262's?

KK

that would be four 3cm Mk 108's. The pilot could switch two of them off he did not need them and most of the time they did not ...........

Sorry yes I meant the Ar-234. I dont know why I typed "He", probably because I saw you others write about the He-219.

do I dare ask why the Ar 234 ? flew 1-2 anti-mossie missions and that was it. a host of different experimental variations never tested just on the drawing boards. Possibly up to 6 built for operations the unit was too few in number to even get all the jets airborne at one time. Funny 1-2 very notable NF aces of NJG 100 came on board but flew 1 mission each in the jet with no effect.

the NF variant will be covered in our book just so you are aware

v/r

E ~

something to consider a few images

Attachments

• ar234.jpg
    ar234.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Ar_234_03.jpg
    Ar_234_03.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 127
  • scan0016.jpg
    scan0016.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 128
Why the Ar-234 ? Well because of its range, performance and ordenance carrying capability.

cheers D ~

Soren the problem and we cover Kurt W's thoughts as to why he choose the 262A-1a over the Ar 234 but besides the tweaking by searchlights and fire reflection into the windscreen he felt strongly opposed flying an a/c so long nosed forward for the cockpit, and firing into the rear of a BC heavy --------- BAM ----------- you can well imagine the effects of debris flying through the non protected glass front. note the operational Ar 234B's never had any covering at al but just the radar aerials protruding forward don't think the pilot felt much protected in that thing, as experimentation evolved armor plating was used for nearly 1/2 or more of the face of the AR 234, something that should of been placed in high regard when the jet was operational

like I said we are going to be covering this little craft later

Excellent, looking forward to it.

Answering in lieu of marlin, if I may:

Night Fighter by C.F. Rawnsley and Robert Wright. (This was the book that started my fascination with the subject of WWII night fighting.)

Rawnsley was Cunningham's RO and Wright was a night fighter staff officer at RAF HQ.

By the way, while I would pay utmost respect to Grp Capt Cunningham's opinion, I would suggest two things.

1. He's perhaps a bit biased but had earned that right.

2. What was the experience level of the US night fighter crews he 'intercepted' compared to him?

Both the Mossie and P-61 were marvelous aircraft for their day.

Thanks Brick.

My favorite is the Beaufighter because it worked well. Not much is said about it because it is not sexy but it was essential in the early part of the war.

I'm a big fan of the Beaufighter too. Although overshadowed by the later Mossie the Beau definitely is worthy of praise, not least for being the first proper radar equipped fighter in the world

This is not a subject i know a whole lot about, but i'll just toss out a vote for the P-61 for it's sheer coolness factor. ;)

The P-38M Night Lightning is also very high on the coolness factor.

ACCORDING TO THE VETERANS OF THE us nIGHT FIGHTERS ASSOCIATION OF WHICH i WAS A MEMBER, IT WAS NEVER OPERATIONAL ............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back