Bf-109 Red 7, Down again ! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maybe, but an aircraft nail down on the ground is an airplane death. Too clean, no sound, no smell... no soul. Their existence has meaning only in flight.And it's here they do vibrated our hearts and guts.

That sounds as though Saint-Ex himself could have written it :-k

I agree. As long as all the safety precautions possible are taken and there are experienced pilots willing to fly them - why not?

Besides the landing gear could have failed on any aircraft (and do) plus the majority of this 'warbird' is new-build too...

I think that keeping them on the ground would be a shame. Being a volunteer at a place that restores and flies these rare birds, I say let them fly. Nothing beats the looks on children's faces and old vets too when one of those big radials (or Merlins) fires up. Seeing them fly spurs interest in them and keeps the interest going. Plus, if they are sitting on the ground, they make damn boring pictures!

I think that keeping them on the ground would be a shame. Being a volunteer at a place that restores and flies these rare birds, I say let them fly. Nothing beats the looks on children's faces and old vets too when one of those big radials (or Merlins) fires up. Seeing them fly spurs interest in them and keeps the interest going. Plus, if they are sitting on the ground, they make damn boring pictures!
Amen

I also think that we should keep flying these rare planes. However we occasionally lose a plane to flying accidents that could have been avodid had the aircraft instead been put on display, and that is just plain sad. :(

Maybe, but an aircraft nail down on the ground is an airplane death. Too clean, no sound, no smell... no soul. Their existence has meaning only in flight.And it's here they do vibrated our hearts and guts.

Nicely said but I'll add a qualification.

I'd like to see 3 museum quality static models of every type. If there are more then 3 of a given type in museums then let any remainders fly.

If an aircraft is so rare that there are only 3 in existence, then they should be eternally grounded.

I think it's irresponsible to risk cracking up such a valuable piece of history it there are only a couple survivors. I get a tremendous kick out of seeing war birds in museums or in flight.

Since there are a few ME-109's in museums... I think we can afford to have one or two in flying condition.

Yeah Evanglider,
Hell, PoF flies the Only fully authentic P-26 and Zero in existance. (Zero with original engine)

And they'll be flying their YP-59A once it's restoration is completed. 8)

That sucks. Maybe it is time to stop flying these old birds.

Agreed. Make and fly copies instead!

These birds should fly that's for sure, but the old originals shouldn't be flying aerobatics in airshows, that should be led to copies of the real thing.

Yeah Evanglider,
Hell, PoF flies the Only fully authentic P-26 and Zero in existance. (Zero with original engine)

And they'll be flying their YP-59A once it's restoration is completed. 8)

Too rare.. park them.

IMO - The allegorical, romantic B.S. that "they are machines built to fly.." is a shortsighted and selfish notion.

They are historically significant relics that your grandchildren deserve to see.

Should the USS Constitution, USS Yorktown, HMS victory be taken to the high seas cause they're meant to sail?

Should the chair that Lincoln was shot in be allowed to host the arse of anybody that wants to sit simply because it's a chair and chairs are made for sitting?

Should the Spirit of St. Louis join the air show circuit?

believe me, I'd love to see the P-26 or Zero fly but not at the expense of denying future generations the pleasure of seeing and being inspired by, the real thing!

Too rare.. park them.

IMO - The allegorical, romantic B.S. that "they are machines built to fly.." is a shortsighted and selfish notion.

They are historically significant relics that your grandchildren deserve to see.

Should the USS Constitution, USS Yorktown, HMS victory be taken to the high seas cause they're meant to sail?

Should the chair that Lincoln was shot in be allowed to host the arse of anybody that wants to sit simply because it's a chair and chairs are made for sitting?

Should the Spirit of St. Louis join the air show circuit?

believe me, I'd love to see the P-26 or Zero fly but not at the expense of denying future generations the pleasure of seeing and being inspired by, the real thing!

I can see were your coming from ...But this 109 is made from parts ...its not a real German 109 ... I say fly the old girl ... There lots of the Spanish 109's around ...

I can see were your coming from ...But this 109 is made from parts ...its not a real German 109 ... I say fly the old girl ... There lots of the Spanish 109's around ...

My comments were directed mostly to the P-26 and zero that I referenced.. but there are a few zeros in museums too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back