Bf-109 vs Spitfire vs Fw-190 vs P-51

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Also he might see it as running away, in real combat no problem, in 'play' the Spit pilot would no doubt enjoy it.

I agree. The only advantage the Mustang has is speed and it must be used to keep energy up if he has any hope. A Mustang should never yank and bank dogfight a Spitfire, its a losing deal.

Also he might see it as running away, in real combat no problem, in 'play' the Spit pilot would no doubt enjoy it.

Train like you fight, fight like you train.

It is fun though to do something in training that you wouldn't do tactically just to see if you can get away with, or learn from it.

It is fun though to do something in training that you wouldn't do tactically just to see if you can get away with, or learn from it.

For sure. What training manuals say and what situations a real enemy forces on you are two different things.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson

Last edited:
Maybe a better way of explaining not following "norms" was experimentation. Tactics manuals are often re-written or updated and often it's due to introducing some new, or tweaking something old.

BTW I found this on the old www...

Platinum Fighter Sales - Warbird and Classic Aircraft Sales

If only I had mo money...

Cheers,
Biff

Ahh, loose change...I just happened to find $650,000 down the back of my sofa...(cue insane laughter :laughing3: :silly: ) *SIGH*

Gents,

I've recently finished two books (one today) that might be of interest. The first is called, "The Men Who Killed The Luftwaffe", by Lt Col (Ret'd) Jay Stout, and "My Logbook", by Gunther Rall.

The first is an excellent book on the big picture of who, what, when, and how the air war (particularly over Europe) was planned and executed. Well written! The second I just finished today and it's also an excellent book. His recall / diary of information is excellent, to include names, types, models, etc. He does get to fly all the leading Allied fighters (P-38, Spit, P-47 P-51 alongside a Fw-190D) prior to the end of the war. He was impressed with cockpit size, heat, quality of the Allied A/C as well as the performance of the longnosed Fw. It starts slow, but is a very good story.

Cheers,
Biff

holy crap...how much did you spend on "my logbook"?? i was looking on amazon and its starts at $425.00!!! USED. think i will wait for the "E" edition...lol

Last edited:
$425 for a used book? Anyone want to just type it here? XD (I was kidding, but if you did I'd read it. Just saying)

holy crap...how much did you spend on "my logbook"?? i was looking on amazon and its starts at $425.00!!! USED. think i will wait for the "E" edition...lol

I bought probably 8 or so years ago and paid less than a hundred for it and it's signed by the man himself.

Cheers,
Biff

PS. Good to see something I bought as gained some value!

anything i found that is signed is $600 and upwards. a really nice keep sake. might help put one of your kids through college someday...or be a treasure you pass down to one of them.

I haven't read all of the post since my last post, but other than the Ta 152H, (which I feel is the superior fighter but what, it only shot down at most 11 aircraft while the spitfire XIV shot down 190 AC)) was there a production piston engine fighter that saw combat that was as good or even superior to the Spit XIV, im curious, because I cant think of any, of course it is my second favorite fighter of the war behind the Me 262.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back