Bf-109trop temp (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
Ive been reading some stuff about the Bf-109trop layout. My question is what would be the highest tempurature you would want to go to on the ground before you would over heat the engine and cause damage to it.

For those of you that dont know the clam style filter system was used to prevent dust and dirt from entering the engine by use of a filter while on the ground. Once in the air the clam would be opened to allow air to flow straight into the engine.

I realize outside air temperature will have an effect on the performance of the engine. From what Ive read its not recommended for the clam to be shut for very long periods on the ground. Would you need to run a richer fuel to compensate for the restriction of air? I also know that the engine was radiator cooled and without air flow the engine could also over heat in this way. Is that the biggest factor or was it the air restriction?

Not being able to read german makes things a little harder for me to figure out.

Thanks in advance for any help

Attachments

• tropic.JPG
    tropic.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 107
Ignore this post, Im an idiot. :oops: I thought about this way to hard when there is a simpler way to figure it out plus I didnt give you all the info some one would need to answer it any way. Namely engine type and aircraft model.

Thanks though for those that read it, i think I just about figured it out myself. :oops:

The coolant temperature limitations for the DB 605A were - at SL, slowly decreasing with altitude - max 102* Celsius coolant for long periods, and max 115* Celsius for short periods not exceeding 10 min.

Oil limits were :

Inlet : avarage 20* C, normal 75* C +/- 5* C, max. 85* C vorübergehend

Outlet (s.L.): normal 125* C +/- 5* C, max. 135* C vorübergehend
Outlet (VDH): normal 110-120* C vorübergehend

There are two transcribed reports on a /trop version on my site which may have interesting bits for you (aircraft is Black Six).

The coolant temperature limitations for the DB 605A were - at SL, slowly decreasing with altitude - max 102* Celsius coolant for long periods, and max 115* Celsius for short periods not exceeding 10 min.

Oil limits were :

Inlet : avarage 20* C, normal 75* C +/- 5* C, max. 85* C vorübergehend

Outlet (s.L.): normal 125* C +/- 5* C, max. 135* C vorübergehend
Outlet (VDH): normal 110-120* C vorübergehend

There are two transcribed reports on a /trop version on my site which may have interesting bits for you (aircraft is Black Six).

Thanks Kurfürst, I will do that. Dawned on me late last night that all I had to do was find a cockpit picture that I could read and look at the gauges. Didnt answer all my questions but a lot of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back